Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ‘67 S tranny - did your car come with this one?

‘67 S tranny - did your car come with this one?

I’m clearing (cleaning) out a bunch of no longer needed items of a large lot buy a number of years ago. In that purchase I picked up a bunch of old transmissions, most of which are now listed here.

One of them happens to be a 901/02 5sp trans with a build date of the 39th week of ‘66.
    The serial# is 103729

According to my research, this is an ‘67S gearbox.

It’d be ‘oh so cool’ to find the owner of the car this originally came with. I know it’s a LONG shot but I’ve seen stranger things happen. I thought I’d post it here first for a few weeks in the hopes we find the car if it still exists. If not, I’ll eventually post for sale.

Please don’t ask me “how much” as for right now I’m hoping the original home comes forward. You’ll know the answer to that question when (if) it gets listed for sale.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I would guess the VIN to be in the 306700 to 306800 range. I have a few near that serial scattered over quite a VIN range.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    I would guess the VIN to be in the 306700 to 306800 range. I have a few near that serial scattered over quite a VIN range.
    What about targa "range"?

Eric
    IF it came from a targa according to my database it would have to be in the first couple of targas made almost all of the ones I have data from, down to 500021 have a 104xxx gearbox
    on the Coupes I think it would be a early/ mid November, possibly up to early December, 1966 car. I have 103727 in vin 306735S with a completion date of 11 November according to its Kardex but as Dave said numbers close to that one seem to range over a wide vin range
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Is this the same gearbox that was on the Pelican 7/14/2012 ?

Quote Originally Posted by johns4949 View Post
    Is this the same gearbox that was on the Pelican 7/14/2012 ?
    Wow John, you have a great memory! Yes, it was in “that” haul. Most of the cars are gone. I kept the 69E Targa (almost done and now back to the original Golden Green) and the 68 912 softie (which turned out to be #’s matching)

Thank you too Dave, Eric and Hugh for chiming in with your vast numbers knowledge. Hopefully the field is now ‘somewhat’ narrowed, but we’re still looking for that “needle”.

Quote Originally Posted by HughH View Post
    Eric
    IF it came from a targa according to my database it would have to be in the first couple of targas made almost all of the ones I have data from, down to 500021 have a 104xxx gearbox
    on the Coupes I think it would be a early/ mid November, possibly up to early December, 1966 car. I have 103727 in vin 306735S with a completion date of 11 November according to its Kardex but as Dave said numbers close to that one seem to range over a wide vin range
    Thanks Hugh,

I have a 67S targa basket case that needs a trans, but I don't think it's that early. I have to get into my files to get the number to see what range I do need. The engine in that car is non-number matching, but it IS a 67S engine.

E

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
    What about targa "range"?
    As mentioned, this transmission would have been installed during November production. Except for perhaps the first 15 Targa's the main production run began in January 1967; so at least a month later. Caveat: this is going by Invoice dates from Kardex and COA.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Dave, any way to know how many S's were built in November?

Oh well.
    Looking for 104154
    Keep me in mind tho
    1962 356 S Cab gone
    1967 911S Coupe
    2008 RS60 Boxster gone
    1973.5 911T targa soft window Gone
    Runge 008 Gone
    2002 996 TT x-50 Gone
    2016 Boxster GTS pts gulf orange
    1969 912 SWT pts green

Can I be FRANK with you ?