Thread: Early S oil coolers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Early S oil coolers

As these are popping up with some regularity used nowadays, I was curious where Porsche was with respect to re-offering these coolers, I just spoke with Maurice at Stoddard NLA and he said they were being re-manufactured by Behr and they were expecting them in relatively soon. Asked about price and he said $4,000, but he wasn't sure till they came in. Availability was going to be based on demand. Me thinks this is pretty good news. Even better if they stock both 27mm and 30mm sizes. I'm inclined to spend the change on an exact repro that is brand new vs an almost 50 year old used beast that might have un-repairable internal issues. :cool

Speedo
    registry# 1283

I've never seen the early S unit, only the 21 row brass one.

$4000 for a cooler? I think Porsche thinks we Porsche fans are a bunch of fools and they are laughing all the way to the bank.
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Banned
    $4k is very fair and I suspect owners will stomach it just fine after they think through it. It's one of those critical aesthetic and functional pieces for an S.

I have a few of these; if someone waved 3500-4k in front of me I'm not sure I would even sell.

Yes maybe for a vintage NLA part yes to $4000. but for a mass produced cooler probably made in China is pushing it. Chris
    2. '70 911S Tangerine

Quote Originally Posted by raspy2point2 View Post
    $4000 for a cooler? I think Porsche thinks we Porsche fans are a bunch of fools and they are laughing all the way to the bank.
    We are...and they are. Your point?
    registry# 1283

the hobby becomes less enjoyable now that all prices have doubled since the 1990's.
    2. '70 911S Tangerine

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by raspy2point2 View Post
    the hobby becomes less enjoyable now that all prices have doubled since the 1990's.
    ... and yet car values have more than quadrupled.

It humors me that people whine about parts prices while enjoying the benefit of the market. And I'm well aware of the argument: "But I'm not selling my car." The point is that someone, maybe a distant cousin or unappreciative child will inherit your car when you die and sell it for a boatload shortly after you're buried.