Thread: Electrical switch resto tips

Electrical switch resto tips

Just getting ready to spruce up/restore all of my electrical switches for my USA, late production '68 normal.

I was just going to test the switches for a closed circuit when pulled "on".

It has the rubber covered knobs. I sourced new rubber knobs from Eric Linden. I was going to get the new symbols from Stoddard or Aase as well as the little light tubes (expensive!).

The normal came with the plastic rosettes, but I was thinking of getting the chrome ones, which I think came on the L and S.

I have two sets of fog lights: one set in the bumper with yellow lenses and a TTG set. On the dash I was going to put the bumper fog switch with a yellow fog symbol in the far left position typically used for fog lights, and the TTG fog switch with a green fog symbol in the far right auxiliary heater position. The hazard light switch is in the middle.

Any thoughts or suggestions on sources or other tips for this job?
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

My suggestion is that you thoroughly search this topic here and on the 912 site as well since there are numerous threads that will answer almost every question a person may have about the dashboard switches their repair. wiring and placement.

Quote Originally Posted by ejboyd5 View Post
    My suggestion is that you thoroughly search this topic here and on the 912 site as well since there are numerous threads that will answer almost every question a person may have about the dashboard switches their repair. wiring and placement.
    I have searched. In fact, I even stumbled across this gem: Dashboard-Switch-Illumination-Repair

I'm away of all of the wiring threads for fog lights from long ago and have those bookmarked as well as other "nuts and bolts"-type threads. I'm seeking opinion here.

At a minimum, what none of the threads answer is the best source for the tubes and the symbols. As an example, the first set of rubber knobs I bought years ago were crap. Not the correct material and clearly too large such that they did not hold tension on the plastic symbol and the knob beneath. I would love to avoid throwing away new parts or trying to get a refund somewhere. The light tubes are running $35-$55 EACH! depending on who's selling them. There are an endless number of threads seeking opinions on headliners and dash pads. I'm glad to get the latest info so I don't have to waste my money on poorly fitting components. A restoration is long enough without having to do things twice.
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

http://www.autoforeignservices.com/
    This is the go-to place for your rubber covers & other high quality Porsche parts. I believe he is closed until early March, 2018. ......cliff
    Last edited by Cliff; 02-15-2018 at 11:10 AM.