Thread: PORSCHE or reproduction heat exchangers - which are these?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

PORSCHE or reproduction heat exchangers - which are these?

Can anyone tell if these MFI exchangers are PORSCHE or reproduction...no part numbers or other nomenclature stamped anywhere. Will be looking to sell them and want a good basis of cost since the price of reproductions is way less than the PORSCHE part. Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    They aren't SSI, as all 6 Allen nut holes are in place.

Quote Originally Posted by gled49 View Post
    They aren't SSI, as all 6 Allen nut holes are in place.
    Yes...these are NOT stainless and I believe all of the SSI offerings were stainless - but perhaps I'm wrong. These are painted steel.

To the best of my knowledge all OEM exchangers had a slightly raised portion where the flange contacted the exhaust gasket, but then again I've never seen aftermarket ones with the 73 hot air box that drew air from the engine bay via the air tube thru the side sheet metal piece.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    To the best of my knowledge all OEM exchangers had a slightly raised portion where the flange contacted the exhaust gasket, but then again I've never seen aftermarket ones with the 73 hot air box that drew air from the engine bay via the air tube thru the side sheet metal piece.
    Thank you Ed - and yes, these do indeed have the raised flange surface you mention. With that and your other comment, perhaps these are indeed PORSCHE pieces.

They may be Porsche pieces but not pieces that originally came on a '73 . The original heat exchangers until '74 had an additional weld on the pipes between the shrouding and the trident . The allen bolt holes were also different . I don't know of a way to differentiate between a later Porsche heat exchanger and some of the aftermarket ones .