Thread: HELP! Struggling with quarter window installation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

HELP! Struggling with quarter window installation

I'm fitting pop-out quarter windows to a '79 SC. I've done my research, and done each step very precisely. Everything was going pretty well until I started fitting the seal to the glass. The smaller one between the glass and the inside of the frame. I got them on the glass and in the frame fairly easily, but then when it came time to fasten the straight section of the frame, it took two guys squeezing and pushing, and some clever loosening and tightening of the tiny screws at the corner to get the frame to assemble. Both were an incredibly tight fit. I followed up by fitting the larger seal to the outside of the frame. That went well. On to fitting the windows in the car I ran into a problem. The windows wouldn't fit. They would close just a little, then stop midwat towards the back of the car. Sighting from the front towards the latch end, I could see that the window frame was making contact about midway--the front by the B pillar and the latch end looked pretty good, it was just the middle that was hanging up. I lubed the rubber a little, and that helped a bit, but it was clear that the frame was simply too large for the opening. Took the frame out of the car and placed a clamp across the frame (top to bottom) about where it was binding. I put some tape on the glass to monitor the movement. With a squeeze I could compress the frame at least 1/8". I had the idea that since the end piece was so difficult to install, that the seal might be too large. Thus, the clamp squeezed the seal and allowed the frame to "get smaller". So I took and extra seal I had bought (it's unbranded--not labelled official Porsche) and compared it to a seal from an old window I had. I was surprised to see that the old seal, although shrunk with age and hard, was dramatically smaller and thinner than the new seal. See the pic below. The old seal is on top. I know it doesn't look terribly different, but the new seal is just so thick and tall. This is a side view, so the glass would insert from the top (in the direction of the red arrow). I'm now thinking that these seals are way too large, and are expanding the frame to the point that it won't fit in the car. I don't have experience with these seals, so if anyone can offer some experience here, I'd appreciate it.

Name:  20180220_194917.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  40.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early S Registry Member #3291

Still hunting for my dad's (Roger Abraham) '70T Coupe in Light Ivory
    Purchased new from Gruber Porsche Cedar Rapids, IA

You're now learning the lesson of 'aftermarket parts' they ain't the same!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

From what company did you purchase the seal? under what part number?

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    You're now learning the lesson of 'aftermarket parts' they ain't the same!
    When I ordered I spec'd "best quality you can get". I guess that wasn't good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by 356hunter View Post
    From what company did you purchase the seal? under what part number?
    EBS. I've bought lots of stuff from them, but been burned by bad quality (not necessarily a fault of theirs) in the past. I used the part no's from the PET, as I always do.

Watching your results and info as I will be doing this very soon and I’m not looking forward to it.
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

I've returned the seals to EBS and will be checking out some from Stoddard's at a friend's shop soon. I'll report back. By the sounds of it the genuine Porsche seals are the ones that will fit without issue. I'll report back.