Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS: Becker Olympia 208 cassette

FS: Becker Olympia 208 cassette

as best I recall these were produced as an upgrade to a radio. attached via a standard DIN jack. tried to research, but very little info turned up. pretty uncommon unit. sitting on the shelf for 25 years you'll want to have this gone through. scratch to chrome @ upper left corner. otherwise EXC guarantee card & instruction folder included. $150 + shipping SOLD
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by typ901; 05-04-2018 at 07:48 AM.
    84102 purchased in '85 FINALLY started driving it (2/2015)
    '73 911T original paint sunroof coupe waiting in the wings
    3 gauge Holbert 912... now for something completely different
    1940 Mercury town sedan

G serial with Prefix is around 1970 / 71, the Letter didn't exactly match calendar year.

This is in 1970 catalogue but 208 identifier not mentioned
    image.jpeg

The 208 was certainly still appearing in Becker 1972 and 73 catalogues in Europe as was the similar mono version. Not sure if a Becker radio-unit with this separate plug-in accessory Mexico Olympia cassette without amp was ever actually a Porsche M option # but such a two piece combo wasn't listed in Model year 1973 Porsche option lists that I have ...obviously Becker autoradio equipment got fitted by dealers and aftermarket.

It's a smart looking unit and matching papers are a nice touch. Good luck with the sale!

May have more info in my autoradio files but it's quite late here, this information is from memory but pretty sure it is reasonably correct.

HTH

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 02-20-2016 at 02:56 PM.

BIG thanks for the input Steve ! I was able to find next to nothing on this.
    1940 Mercury town sedan

poking around a little more I was only able to find references to 1970 & '71.
    1940 Mercury town sedan

Neat old item...something to build a car around...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

These posts reminded me to check my files...the 208 model appears in my German market Becker full 16 page brochure dated 1972...

image.jpg

...and also in my Becker multi language foldout brochure dated 3/72 with an English language discription (this brochure opens up with a neat full size a map of Germany around 1972 on the reverse)...

image.jpg

I notice that "Olympia" designation seems to have been dropped on your unit's face with just "Becker Cassette" appearing despite the "Olympia" designation still appearing in the associated matching number paperwork. I think my estimate in post above of G= 70/71 is still reasonably accurate for dating your unit...but maybe this small name change detail on faceplate points to your actual example being having been produced in 1971 shortly ahead of the 72 208 series illustrated in my various 1972 brochures ....rather than one with "Olympia" printed on faceplate if it had been from the earlier part of Becker 70/71 production year. Since it was an aftermarket cassette accessory (never factory fit afaik) allowing for lead time and given this faceplate it could also look appropriate in 1972 cars -- despite your paperwork indicating it was probaly slightly earlier.

Model 208 also appears with the "Becker Cassette" faceplate not "Olympia" in the Geman retailer FB Auto-Radio GMbH catalogue / price list for 1972 alongside other similar listings for Blaupunkt, Philips and Grundig product range ...
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

In summary: my guess for picky owners wanting to fit something from correct year it is probably most appropriate in a 71 or maybe an earlier 72 car, based in this evidence. Suspect a 70 produced would have carried the "Olympia" faceplate script like the example illustrated in the 70 brochure (post #2) and as illustrated in your unit's paperwork. Others may not care so much.

If anyone knows better I'm happy to learn and be corrected of course.

I have a lot more autoradio stuff from this era including other retailers brochures, the ex-factory to dealer full pricelist covering units plus all vehicle fitting kit information, detaled accessories for Becker, Blaupunkt etc... but maybe the above is sufficient for you and prospective buyers.

Hope this helps.

Steve.
    Last edited by 911MRP; 02-20-2016 at 04:49 PM.

Steve;
    my apologies for not thanking you before now. great input whether it helps my sale or not !
    thanks again
    jerry
    1940 Mercury town sedan

time for a bump
    1940 Mercury town sedan

Steve, would you have more info on the Philips models offered in 72?
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

Certainly Karl

72 Philips in the same German market brochure....
    image.jpgimage.jpg
    image.jpg

Wonder if we'll see bunch of Philips autoradio from the autoradio FS regulars

Best Steve