Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very rare 380mm Momo Monza steering wheel

Very rare 380mm Momo Monza steering wheel

Very rare, 100% original and badass 380mm Momo Monza. Has the PatMomo stamping on back indicating it was produced around 1966-1967. I haven't seen many if any in this size for sale over the last few years. The leather is almost in perfect condition with just some early signs of patina, pretty incredible shape for a 50 year old wheel. The wheel is flat spoked and the spokes are perfect as well, absolutely no stress marks of any kind. One thing I did notice when it was lying on the floor for the pics is it is not completely perfectly flat. Its really barely noticeable, I never even noticed it myself until I put it on the floor, mounted in the car it would be a non-issue. Its an incredibly beautiful and rare wheel that you probably won't find another one of in this kind of excellent original condition. I have exchanged wheels with several forum members, all being very pleasant transactions. Happy to answer any questions.

unnamed.jpgunnamed-2.jpgunnamed-1.jpgunnamed-3.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pdub02; 03-08-2018 at 03:28 PM.

Price is negotiable with reasonable offers. Thanks!

Absolutely not picking on the price...just looking to be educated. Why are such wheel offerings so expensive noting that they are (a) not original to the car, and (b) nothing that PORSCHE offered as an option. I can't think of another 'aftermarket' piece that commands such money. Thank you.

Fair enough question, but I am not sure I would be the best person to answer that. The market dictates the price, as with most things. A period correct steering wheels that was state of the art at the time (and kinda still is better than what’s made today honestly), hand made, and was used on PORSCHE as well as other cars at the time has a lot of value to some folks. I have been a collector of steering wheels ever since I swapped out the stock wheel on my first vintage car and couldnt believe the difference it made. I just enjoy collecting, not everyone does and that’s ok. As much as I’d like to keep everything I have ever bought, it just becomes necessary to let some go sometimes. Believe me, I do wish that these were more available and had a more affordable value - I would probably buy more! But again, this Monza in particular is literally almost impossible to find in this size, age, and excellent condition hence the price. Its one of the coolest wheels I have ever had the pleasure of owning, but I spent a small fortune myself purchasing a similar wheel in not nearly as nice of condition from Uli last year, but it’s a different model I want to keep so I am letting this one go instead. That’s just my 2 cents, hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by pdub02 View Post
    Fair enough question, but I am not sure I would be the best person to answer that. The market dictates the price, as with most things. A period correct steering wheels that was state of the art at the time (and kinda still is better than what’s made today honestly), hand made, and was used on PORSCHE as well as other cars at the time has a lot of value to some folks. I have been a collector of steering wheels ever since I swapped out the stock wheel on my first vintage car and couldnt believe the difference it made. I just enjoy collecting, not everyone does and that’s ok. As much as I’d like to keep everything I have ever bought, it just becomes necessary to let some go sometimes. Believe me, I do wish that these were more available and had a more affordable value - I would probably buy more! But again, this Monza in particular is literally almost impossible to find in this size, age, and excellent condition hence the price. Its one of the coolest wheels I have ever had the pleasure of owning, but I spent a small fortune myself purchasing a similar wheel in not nearly as nice of condition from Uli last year, but it’s a different model I want to keep so I am letting this one go instead. That’s just my 2 cents, hope it helps.
    Thank you and fair enough, and certainly the market dictates pricing on this and everything else. I hope you get every dollar you can!

Quote Originally Posted by mac73s View Post
    I can't think of another 'aftermarket' piece that commands such money. Thank you.
    Seats........but if the prices of monzas are 2k+ i might think of selling mine
    Last edited by uai; 02-27-2018 at 09:25 AM.

Tell me about the top left one.
    72S, 72T now ST

Quote Originally Posted by Longballa View Post
    Guessing ,,, !st Generation 1966-1969 stacked MOMO 360 Flat Proto

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Longballa View Post
    Mark nailed it, 1st gen 360mm stacked Prototipo. It has a gorgeous patina but the leather is also silky smooth. It is not for sale and I am currently using it. Mark I think I read that stacked MoMo logo appeared from ‘68-‘73. J

FD36A48D-C5CF-48CC-AB8D-06230CF196FA.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by pdub02 View Post
    Mark nailed it, 1st gen 360mm stacked Prototipo. It has a gorgeous patina but the leather is also silky smooth. It is not for sale and I am currently using it. Mark I think I read that stacked MoMo logo appeared from ‘68-‘73. J

FD36A48D-C5CF-48CC-AB8D-06230CF196FA.jpg
    Im bound to be corrected by the wise and am aware that they "stacked the MOMO" through into the 70's however I put your 360 in the 66- 69 era due to the detail of the Prototipo.

Earliest version of the Proto.... "just engraved''

PastedGraphic-7.jpg

Later version with paint hi lighted prototipo

PastedGraphic-11.jpg

Both I believe are "so called" 1st Gen,,,due to the stitching in the rear of the horizontal spokes and "stacked" MOMO but the engraved is the TRUE first ,, My belief anyway ..

Photos curtsey of other members.

Mark