Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Very rare 380mm Momo Monza steering wheel

Yeah, what I thought. 360 is my jam. Sell me that one!
    72S, 72T now ST

pdub02,

Just had another quick read and looksie ,,

The 360 you have may have had a re rap and hence the lack of rear stitching and the comment "silky smooth" . maybe... or perhaps it is a specification to "order" and (well kept).

That it does not have the rear stitch in no way diminish's it's fundamental reality in history.

Everything that came out of that small establishment was pretty much 1 off in the early years.

Paper work , files , pictures etc were not of great importance and limited company data or self taken record's were kept or filed.

One of the glorious "touchy feely" wonderful companies of the past.

There are member's among us that are 'more mm' capable and qualified than me to enlighten us all.

Perhaps they in the future may consider writing a "glorious book" or 2 (with photo's) about this topic for us all to enjoy.

Mark
    Last edited by NZVW; 03-02-2018 at 01:06 AM.

I saw a 67S one time with a flat Momo 380mm wheel at a car show, the look was amazing. Sure I have seen the reissue of the dished Prototipo that you can buy anywhere but the early flat wheels are unique. Most every race car of the day had a Momo wheel so while they were not a factory part for the street cars they surely were a period correct part that are appropriate to 60s European sports cars. I noticed a few things without being a Momo expert, the flat wheels are early, nobody makes a re-issue in a flat wheel. The larger the wheels are more suitable for a street car with 370-380mm being the optimal size but these are also twice as rare to find as a 350-360mm wheel which works great in a 917 with quick ratio steering but not in a street driven 911. Condition of course will make the wheel, with great condition and slight patina very desirable, but if the wheel needs to be covered - well nobody is going to cover it with exact materials and stitch the way Momo did - so forget about having some upholstery shop restore your wheel because it won’t look the same. Watch out for stress cracks as they like to crack near the holes on the spokes. Lastly the original Momo hub and horn button with the large Porsche crest is the ticket and will cost a pretty penny all on their own as they are also hard to find, yes there are repros of these parts but they are not the same.

When I first started looking I saw prices around $3000 for these types of wheels with hub and horn button. But I had to have one. Why spend so much on an aftermarket vintage wheel for your Porsche? It is a period correct item that is not imitatable and you can stare at it for long periods without getting bored of it. A very exclusive item that can’t be found easily and thus the prices are high. Of course if you think there is no difference between these vintage ones and the one you can go buy right now out of a catalog company then good for you, you saved a bunch of money and im sure you think you car is special too.

Quote Originally Posted by mac73s View Post
    Absolutely not picking on the price...just looking to be educated. Why are such wheel offerings so expensive noting that they are (a) not original to the car, and (b) nothing that PORSCHE offered as an option. I can't think of another 'aftermarket' piece that commands such money. Thank you.
    Yes, I guess momo wheels are technically aftermarket, in the purest sense... but one could argue that. MOMOs were factory original equipment in most of the prototype racing Porsches of the late 1960s through the mid 1970s.
    This is only one reason why they are so coveted.
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

This wheel is sold. Thank you for all the interest.