Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vaporized fuel smell - Mech Fuel Injection

Vaporized fuel smell - Mech Fuel Injection

'72 T with original injection.
    After hard acceleration (say passing from 70mph to 95mph) then letting off and slowing back down to 70 - the cabin fills with vaporized fuel smell for a few seconds. The odor goes away almost instantly. I was wondering where I should start looking for the culprit? Any theories?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    - Mark Z

ESR #2450
    http://letter26.blogspot.com/

member #1515
    Check your front trunk area, breather hoses fuel level sender gasket, charcoal filter lines and the vapor canister behind the bulkhead cover.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Are you driving with rear 1/4 windows open?

Vaporized fuel smell = putting you snout over the top of a can of gas ??

Check Dave for the obvious. The smell is every drivers nightmare .

Backing off from 90 to 70 has never created 'exhaust fumes' to come back in via the open Quart lights for me ,, much...

Mark

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Many cars here have suffered from backwash coming in open rear 1/4 windows, must be the direction the earth rotates up here. I don't drive with them open anymore.

OP here - Yup, now that I think of it I did have the rears open during this long 3 hour ride on the interstate. Only really happened at 70 > 90 and then back down to 70. I was thinking that it might be an injection system gasket leak somewhere. But probably turns out to be back wash from the intake.

- thx...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    - Mark Z

ESR #2450
    http://letter26.blogspot.com/

member #1515
    I have a hard time visualizing how raw fuel smell would come back in with 1/4 windows as these are designed to pull air out of the inside of the car.
    However they would pull fuel smells from the trunk area as they increase airflow through the passenger compartment.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

I get the same smell on mine with the quarter windows open, just something I accepted years ago.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

See post #2 for your solution
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Oh trust me, I have, it's not raw fuel, but rather burned fuel
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.