Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Correct red vinyl for '68

Correct red vinyl for '68

Has anyone sourced new red vinyl to exact match of grain and colour of original '68 red vinyl? (not elephant hide grain)

GAHH, Autobahn and Autos International do not have it.

I do not believe their is a difference between 67 and 68 color wise. When I had a 67 with red interior I had these seats done by Tony that matched perfectly. Name:  My Seats 1.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  378.0 KBName:  My Seats.jpg
Size:  372.4 KBName:  My Seats.jpg
Size:  372.4 KB
    Joe Annicelli
    Early 911S Registry #751
    Polo Red/Black 1967 Porsche 911S Coupe "Walter"
    Black/Red 1967 Alfa GTJr. Coupe "Nero"
    Italian Red 1994 Ducati 900SS/SP looks fast standing still
    Italian Red 1957 Gilera 150 Sport

Ahhhh the sixties... I envision myself one early Saturday morning wearing plaid shorts, black shoes with white socks smoking a cigarette heading to the hardware store to buy a bag of nails.
    SWB cars are an acquired taste however once acquired theirs no turning back.

does anyone have a pic of bordeaux red? in best case on swb sport seat

best

Hi Joe,
    I compared a sample Tony sent me, to a small section of vinyl protected behind the black trim on back of the red door cards I bought from you a while back, and the colour was not that close ... maybe I'll try him again and see what he's got in stock.

I ran into a similar problem trying to match the original red in a 1965 356. The suppliers and dyes used today are so different than they were back in the day. There are several vinyl suppliers - I would contact them and asked for samples. If you’re doing an entire interior then you have the benefit of picking one that comes closest to the protected sample you have. Or dare I say pick a shade that you like. Red is a tricky color to get right in a car interior
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

Thanks John.

I have original red door cards, so a close match is important.

Small differences are very noticeable in the reds .... and if you get close in the colour, the grain can be way out.

Name:  IMG_3531.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  122.5 KBName:  IMG_3532.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  127.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by recaro View Post
    does anyone have a pic of bordeaux red? in best case on swb sport seat

best
    this is a NOS seat bottom cover i have---not sure if this is bordeaux nor do i know what year it was produced...the fabric on the back is white
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Elsporto:

Maybe you'll have better luck, but I could not find a direct red match. Not sure of your car's level, but you may need to settle for something "close but no cigar" or re-do the entire interior, but then you run into not being able to get the basket-weave for seat centers. Isn't this restoration work fun?
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

Not sure if this will help. Try SMS products. I had a very original 356 A coupe with red interior in spectacular shape. With the help of Thomas Pocius, I matched up the vinyl for a pair of speedster seats to use in the car. We settled on a GM vinyl, Sierra Red, which matched the interior in color and texture. It was for seats only which is easier to match than adjoining panels but looked like they belonged. I think it was a 50's GM color.
    Last edited by steve shea; 03-06-2018 at 10:50 AM.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Indeed SMS Auto Fabrics, if they don't have it....
    Slate Gray, Red Leather, 1968 912 HWT