Thread: 1967 911 Front Control Arm Bushing

1967 911 Front Control Arm Bushing

I'm looking for the front bushing for the front control arm. The rear bushings are encased in metal, but the front ones are rubber only. I have purchased 2 different ones from Stoddard and neither are correct. They were 914-341-422-01 & SIC-711-120-00.

I have attached a photo on the old bushing and a drawing (with my dimensions). Not very good with metrics measurements.

Can anyone help source these bushings??

Don1967_911_Control_arm_front_bushing.jpg1967_911_Control_arm_front_bushing2.jpg

I got them for my '66 from Elephant Racing https://www.elephantracing.com/porsc...bber-bushings/
    Scott

Scott,
    Thanks for the info. Everything they had was for later models and nothing matched my control arms.
    Don

One thing to check is whether your car has the '68 only front control arms.
    Do you have a picture of the arm and mounting brackets?

Regards
    Reuben

The rear bushes are known as Fan Blocks and were used from 1965 to 1967.

The rear bushes used from 1968 onwards will be incompatible with your steering crossmember as well as the control arm.

The '1968' Control arms seem to have been used on cars with build dates after September 1967.

The only Front Control Arm rubber bushes currently available are, as you have discovered, shorter than is the ideal length for the early car and could benefit by being slightly longer than you have shown in your sketch. We have made them slightly

The diameter of the bush at 36mm is also too large as genuine Porsche bushes such as 914.341.422.01 have an inner diameter of 30mm.

When this bush is fitted to the steel housing used on the 1968 and later arms it has to pressed very firmly onto the control arm.

This actions stretches the bush from an overall length of 38mm to an installed length of 55mm and introduces a significant amount of radial compression into the rubber sleeve.

Due to the non-linear elastic modulus of natural rubbers this radial compression significantly increases the static modulus of the rubber which in turn improves the alignment of the control arm without having any substantial impact of the damping behaviour.

One feature of NBR is, however, that it will take on a compression 'set' with time hence the 36mm diameter of the old bush. This set will reduce the quality of alignment of the control arm and this will impact on the car's steering.

The 1967 Bush is fitted in a very different manner and is simply clamped into place by the housing which comprises of part numbers 901.341.151.02 and 901.341.153.01.

If you use a bush with the dimensions you have suggested the 'fit' will be poor and alignment of the arm will change with cornering loads.

We have made a longer bush with a smaller inner diameter which will introduce radial compression when clamped into place by the housing. We have also made them 51.5mm OD so again we have introduced radial compression.

We have made them from a rubber with modulus that is greater than the stock '914' part so when they are clamped into place they will behave in a very similar manner to the bush used from 1968 onwards.

Last edited by chris_seven; 02-18-2018 at 02:32 AM.

Attached is a photo of the complete front suspension. VIN# 307850, production completion date: 3/16/1967. Hope this helps.
    Thanks,
    Don0119181302 (Medium).jpg

These look like the 1968 MY Control Arms and the bushes that ER sell should be OK and be easier to fit than the original bush as it has a larger diameter bore so it doesn't introduce as much radial compression but it doesn't require as much force to press into place.

The 1967 Control arm used a front bush that was located by the 'bearing bracket' that I mentioned in my previous post which is shown below

It is surprising to me that a car assembled in March 1967 used these arms - maybe they have been previously changed?

It is also possible that if these arms and steering crossmember use the Fan Block bush at the rear someone may have fitted later front bushes and housings. Can you measure the diameter of the steel tube that locates the bush as this also changes between the 1967 and 1968MY.

The Bush you have bought from Stoddard's with the 914 Part Number is the correct bush for the style of housing shown on your photograph and will fit if you attack it with sufficient enthusiasm

We have fitted plenty of them in the past but you need to fit them in the steel housing first and you will most likely need a good hydraulic press.

We have made a jig with a 'Portapower' jack to do the job more conveniently.

Good Luck
    Last edited by chris_seven; 02-19-2018 at 10:13 AM.

Thanks for the feedback. I don't have the crossmember and arms to measure. They are at a local shop getting cleaned up and back bushing pressed in.

Quote Originally Posted by CA-Don View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I don't have the crossmember and arms to measure. They are at a local shop getting cleaned up and back bushing pressed in.
    You will need to make sure that you removed inner metal sleeve of the bushing from the control arm I had to cut them off with a drimel.
    Looking at the price from Stoddard it is way cheap! It says Genuine Porsche but I find that hard to believe.
    Sunset Porsche sells them for $276.00 each and they usually beat the paints off Stoddard
    https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/o...ng-90134142103

If you already have these from Stoddard and they are Genuine Porsche they should fit. I know that there is a Jorge
    Knock off that seems right but I would not use them. I do not believe they were vulcuanized like the real deal.
    http://www.sierramadrecollection.com...rm-p16783.html

They all will have to be ether pressed on the control arm or you can use long large a threaded rod with large washers on both ends and a impact gun to install them.

You only have to do it once in a lifetime!!!
    Thank heaven!
    Doug Lehman
    Member #2825
    1966 912

1978 911SC Targa fun in the sun