Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to install a smog pump system on my '68?

How to install a smog pump system on my '68?

I just bought a smog pump system for my '68. Now I have the following question:
    a) Should I install the complete system and try to get it up and running or b) should I install the system partial (system is not working, but you can see the key parts of the system) and keep the remaining parts stored away in a box? Currently I tend to b) because easier to execute and I do not need to open my presently smoothly running engine.

I bought this smog pump system because this was the very first attempt for cleaner emissions and therefore technicaly interesting. With this kit installed I will also differ from the crowd (I assume not many 911 engines in Germany have installed this pump).

I would very much appreciate if I anyone could give me a tip about where to find technical documentation about this system (installation or maintenance instructions).

Here is a picture of my manifolds. You can see a port with a plugged piece of hose, which I assume is part of the smog system with which the car was originally equipped:

Thanks in advance for your support,
    Stefan
    Stefan

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx911 US-delivery 130PS MJ68

Stefan, I have found some factory info on these system and how it fits your car. You have the correct manifolds.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I would side with correct appearance, but non-functional. (sort of like Webasto heater.) Curious, do you have a US-spec car? Believe U.S was only market requiring this system.
    If it helps, I can send you the pages from 1968 parts manual showing pieces and orientation.
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

isn't there also a line that pumps air into the muffler? i have a little tip at the inside bottom of the muffler (facing the front of the car). it looks stock, and I thought that is where the air pump was hooked up.

~J~
    air cooled only

No line to the muffler. The pump injects air into the exhaust ports to dilute the mixture if I understand correctly. Your car would need special engine tin, the smog system and the smog camshaft for the pulley. It is quite a complicated system to cobble together correctly.
    John Thompson

1966 912. My first car. Bought it Nov. 25, 1988. Still have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jules Dielen View Post
    isn't there also a line that pumps air into the muffler? i have a little tip at the inside bottom of the muffler (facing the front of the car). it looks stock, and I thought that is where the air pump was hooked up.
    You have a muffler from a California smog equipped 75 - 77 911. That "tip" connects to the EGR valve on 75 - 77 2.7 911Ss.

Regards

Jim

Banned
    First thing you should do is consider using it as a tire pump and not a "smog pump".

Pump air into a discreetly hidden tank on the car. At least it actually serves a purpose.

I can't believe we're having a conversation about "how to install a smog pump on a 68 911."

Can't wait to see the thread on retrofitting a Sportomatic to a manual trans car.

member #1515
    I don't know how these air injectors work on a 68, I can say that on my 91 Turbo the tips of the air degraded and started to fall apart, destroying my turbine blades. I had to put a new turbo in. I was lucky to not have valve or piston damage.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

When I first saw a brand new 68 911 driving past me with the smog pump--IT BACK FIRED. then it started sputtering and running bad. Just put the pump in for looks. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Quote Originally Posted by VintageExcellen View Post
    Stefan, I have found some factory info on these system and how it fits your car. You have the correct manifolds.
    Thanks for these infos!

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbullit View Post
    Curious, do you have a US-spec car?
    yes, see introduction http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...East-Coast-swb

If it helps, I can send you the pages from 1968 parts manual showing pieces and orientation.
    PM sent to Brain

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    I can't believe we're having a conversation about "how to install a smog pump on a 68 911."
    ...this is part of the movement to restore cars back to originality. Therefore why not a thread "retrofitting a Sportomatic to a manual trans car" if the owner wants to work towards delivery status and he wants support out of this forum?

I would side with correct appearance, but non-functional. (sort of like Webasto heater.)
    Quote Originally Posted by raspy2point2 View Post
    Just put the pump in for looks. Chris
    ...this is what I currently plan to do. I'm waiting for the pump to arrive. This is what I have bought:

BR,
    Stefan
    Last edited by 68er; 10-28-2016 at 05:09 AM.
    Stefan

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx911 US-delivery 130PS MJ68