Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Line Sizing

Fuel Line Sizing

I have looked for this info. Sorry if there is a thread here that I missed. However, I would rather get flamed here than have my car go up in smoke.
    The fuel hose that exits the bottom of my fuel filter sprang a leak. It is old, cracked and ready for replacement. Can anyone tell me what size line is used (see photo)? And, while I am in there, I am going to just replace all the lines as they all look to be well past their service life. Is there a resource for finding the specs for all the lines? Pelican seems to sell a million different lines and I don't know what to choose. Thanks for the help!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

10mm or 5/16" I would replace all of your flex / rubber or cloth covered lines, also in your pic top cloth line, that is the type of clamp you want to have, skip the screw clamp above what you are pointing at. As for lines, the cloth covered is very cool BUT does not hold up to methonal, Gates rubber has a fuel hose "Barrier" (I think) that is much more impervious to the methonal crap degrading fuel lines. my Napa carries it. Go front to back and do them all.

Regards
    Edit: 8mm or 5/16"
    Last edited by Jerry L; 03-13-2018 at 05:46 PM.

Thanks Jerry. I am assuming that 10mm is the outside diameter?

Maybe I should clarify. This is a 1972 911e with MFI.

I’d also replace those hose clamps with a stainless ABA or an EFI clamp

You can buy most of the setup from the tunnel/pump/filter pre made and properly crimped and all, not as cheap as hose and clamps but.....
    Membership #3255
    revivem.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry L View Post
    10mm or 5/16" I would replace all of your flex / rubber or cloth covered lines, also in your pic top cloth line, that is the type of clamp you want to have, skip the screw clamp above what you are pointing at. As for lines, the cloth covered is very cool BUT does not hold up to methonal, Gates rubber has a fuel hose "Barrier" (I think) that is much more impervious to the methonal crap degrading fuel lines. my Napa carries it. Go front to back and do them all.

Regards
    Jerry- Just spent some more time looking at this. What I have seen at the Porsche site https://www.porsche.com/all/media/pd...73_KATALOG.pdf
    is that those hoses have a part number of
    999 180 030 50 and it is specified as being 7x12mm. I am assuming that 7x12mm refers to the inside and outside dimensions of the hose?

Not trying to be a pain in the ass. Just want to clarify. Is a higher quality hose of 10mm a suitable replacement for the 7x12 mm? I think maybe I am hung up a bit on the inside diameter of the hose, 'cause I don't want those suckers coming off! Thanks again for the help. I have a long standing habit of doing all my work 3 times. I would like to break that habit.

Sorry for my super huge font. I am not shouting.

If you try to replace a hose which has a 7mm ID with a 10mm ID hose it is almost certainly going to leak and if you try to tighten it enough to seal you will probably damage the hose.

It is good practice to use a hose that is around 0.5mm smaller diameter than the 'barb' as this makes sealing easier and means you only need minimal clamping force to retain the hose.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry L View Post
    10mm or 5/16"
    I'm stumped.

??