Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Door check help

Quote Originally Posted by dummkopf View Post
    I assume it has the narrow bolt pattern like the original? Kind of pricey, but I really don't want to alter the car.
    I'm assuming so. My guys didn''t say anything when installing it.

The narrow pattern new superseded door checks do not belong on an early car in anyway - throw those out. The narrow pattern that doesn’t fit is only on late cars 74+. I have seen many ruined doors because of this superseded part. Once had a guy at a cars an coffee ask me to fix his door which had been traumatized by one of those late heavy door checks and a crazy mechanic who hacked/cut the door up and weakened everything. The repair cost was far more than he ever imagined.

If you have the original door check core parts then the new rebuild kits work great, aluminum rollers for 911 and 914 ran alloy and plastic rollers. 914 and 911 have the same base door check straps but the alloy strap and rollers are different. The Carpoint part is correct too, saves you from rebuilding but costs more - right stud spacing because it’s intended for an early car.

Lots of pressure on this part because the door is one big lever.

The clicking in the door - oh boy, best to have a pro weld it up and re-shoot the hole when the car is getting painted. Another item amateur restorers overlook all the time. Or do a Rick suggested. The other item that messes up these doors is the larger pin that comes with the incorrect door strap, some people pound this large pin in the small hole which enlarges it and causes more trauma, avoid this and use the right parts.

72 911S Targa #0807 95+% German.

Paul Harrop 12.5% German.

Early S #2059

Yes and Yes
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ref. oblong hole in chassis retaining tab. I have repaired similar worn holes by inserting a piece of copper rod the diameter of the pin and mig weld around the rod. Weld does not stick to rod. File both sides of tab flat after removing copper.

Now, does anyone have a picture of the back side of this tab? How to reattach if it comes loose inside hinge pillar?