Thread: Rear torsion bar install?

Rear torsion bar install?

While my car '66 was in for paint, they removed all of the suspension including the rear torsion bars. Now I am getting ready to re-install them. I have never installed torsion bars so this is a first for me. I know there is a spline difference between inner (40) and outer (44). I am test fitting the bars and the outer fits smoothly into the spring plate. The inner doesn't seem to want to engage and slide in. Should they slide in easily? Am I missing something? Thanks
    Scott

The inner splines are a little harder to engage, grease well
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Shift Knob Maker
    You might try a bottle brush attached to a dowel and clean the splines. You would be surprised at how much gunk can be in there, especially after being at the body shop. Then as Ed stated, grease well, splines as well has the whole bars. Helps with corrosion in the future from moisture.

Mark..

Did the shop mark them left and right?

I read that you aren't supposed to swap sides with used bars-- evidently the metal takes a set and when reversed is more prone to breakage. I defer to those more experienced in materials science e.g. Chris but this is definitely out there.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Factory bars should be marked L & R.

As said it is best to clean out the tube and spline portion of the center casting well. Getting them to fit is but the beginning of the fun. Getting the ride height just right is both a skill and a science in the older non adjustable swing plate cars. Tape off the body work inside and out as more than one had dinged up fresh paint while installing, checking, changing, checking , changing ......

To all that have responded, thank you.

Prior to starting this I had taken a wire brush and taped it to a pole to reach the inner spline. I scrubbed it and then vacuumed it. There was quite a bit of 50 year old dirt and whatever else was built up in there that came off.

The good news is with a little persuasion I finally got the left torsion bar in. Not sure why it was so stubborn because the right side slipped right in with no problem.

I am going to assume since I cannot see any difference, that the spring plates do not have a L & R?

The identification markings for the torsion bar L & R.
    Scott

I’ve had the first bar go in too far making it hard to get the second one in...

I’ve also had good luck using an inclinometer app on my iPhone to set the spring plate angle.

Mike
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green