Thread: '72 Front Oil Cooler Lines Bracket Spacing?

'72 Front Oil Cooler Lines Bracket Spacing?

I am in the process of installing the front oil cooler lines on my '72S and realized I was missing the front one of the 3 gusset brackets that are welded to the underbody that are used to secure the oil cooler lines on the passenger side. I was able to purchase a new gusset bracket from Porsche, but now am uncertain how far away from the middle bracket to mount it.

I am not sure the '72 brackets are mounted in a different location than other years. Seems everything on a '72's oil system is a bit different, but wanted to ask if anyone with a similar set up could measure the distance between the middle bracket and the front bracket on their car with a front oil cooler. The rear and middle brackets on mine are 50cm apart. I can't tell for sure where the front missing bracket was attached and I want the new one in the stock location. Thanks.

If you can post a photo of where you mean I'll look at my 72 S tomorrow.

Dave

Name:  Oil Line Brkt 3.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  68.4 KBName:  Oil Line Brkt 1.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  78.2 KBName:  Oil Line Brkt 2.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  69.9 KB

Thanks for the help. The first photo is all the three mounting points. The middle photo of the front shows what appears to be the remains of the missing bracket, but without knowing where it is supposed to go I am reluctant to mount the new one there. It would be much closer to the middle bracket than the one at the back if I attach it there.

On mine the front is 14 3/4" from the center. Using the center of the bolt holes.
    72 911S Targa #0807 95+% German.

Paul Harrop 12.5% German.

Early S #2059

Thanks so much for taking the time to measure that. Mystery solved! That is exactly where the two sheet metal tabs with the bare spot between them in the middle photo are located. Now I just need to figure out how to cut and weld the new one to those pieces or remove them and reattach the new one. The factory one must have been sheared off. If anyone has a good suggestion I am all ears.

Hi, these are welded?? Can you tell/show me more? I'm putting mine in and thought they were screwed in...
    ____o0o____

1972 Targa 911S (one day), silver gray (maybe), member 3337

Brackets are welded on
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ernie W
    member of Early 911S Registry

Having done this several years ago, you want them welded in. Using sheet metal screws is just asking for corrosion.

The shop that did mine fabricated the pieces, as above. They cleaned the mounting areas down to metal, welded them and used a metal protecting primer and then undercoated the areas.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/d7206efa/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/d7206efa/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709