Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Options to re-bush early 901 transmission carrier with rubber-like replacements

Options to re-bush early 901 transmission carrier with rubber-like replacements

Hi all

I have what I believe is an early style 901 transmission carrier which came to me with one missing and one degraded factory bushing. I would like to re-bush it with the most factory-like inserts, am not looking for anything approaching solid or high durometer poly. I've had a hard time finding the right part as most of the rubber mounts are pre-bonded to their 'flange' such as : https://www.partsklassik.com/p-513-e...ion-mount.aspx My carrier is the type that does not accept the flange, the bushings are installed directly to the steel stamping.

To the best of my knowledge these are one option https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/PEL-RSRMTM.htm
    as is the Wevo, at a significantly higher cost, and I would guess with more noise and harshness? https://www.wevo.com/Products/Chassi...STransBeam.htm

Any other options out there besides sourcing a good used carrier, rubber included?

Photos of my carrier are attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by r-mm; 03-19-2018 at 01:52 PM.

There is an oft-cited thread on the 912BBS that concludes with another option, from Rebel Racing. Does anyone have experience with the black 901 bushings they offer?

http://www.912bbs.org/vb/showthread....n-mounts/page3

http://www.rebelracingproducts.com/EngineRelated.html

We do the original rubber moulded in bushings. Only problem is that now you're missing the steel insert. Only way we can get that is if you have an old engine mount to sacrifice.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    We do the original rubber moulded in bushings. Only problem is that now you're missing the steel insert. Only way we can get that is if you have an old engine mount to sacrifice.
    Ed

Where do you buy the OEM bushing? Is it a one piece bushing? If so, how do you install it?
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress

The new rubber bushing is done the same way Porsche did it, that is it is molded in place, it is not a purchased bushing pressed into place. Your old mount is needed to mold the new rubber biscuit into.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

The new rubber bushing is done the same way Porsche did it, that is it is molded in place, it is not a purchased bushing pressed into place. Your old mount is needed to mold the new rubber biscuit into.
    Do you offer this service? If so what is the cost ?
    Doug Lehman
    Member #2825
    1966 912

1978 911SC Targa fun in the sun

Yes we do, send us your old mount with the original bushings in place, as I said above we do need the original steel insert. If the mount is twisted there is an extra charge for straightening, it must be straight to fit the mold fixture. You will get back your mount with the new rubber bushings in place, even with the original markings, and powder painted. $300 plus shipping. Allow two to three weeks.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed,

I have to say that we have never seen an early Transmission Mount with bushes bonded into place and we have refurbished a number of these parts on cars as early as January1965 right up to the last generation cars.

We often fit a harder bush (85 Shore 'A') which is moulded as one piece with the central steel part bonded in place.

We also fit the two-piece standard rubber with the central steel bobbin which is not bonded to the bush.

In both cases we have tooling made and just press them into place with the uprated bush being easier to install.

The 2-piece bush is more difficult to fit due to the loose bobbin and we have fitted a number of this style of mounts to 912's when we always use the softer of the two bushes.

We have a 'bagful' of the central bobbins from old mounts we have replaced with uprated parts.

Banned
    Here's the skinny:

The current "URO" aftermarket mounts have no "bobbin" (great word), I assume because they saved 50 yen during manufacturing. (Ask how we all know they are "one piece", right Ed? Lol.)

There are however other aftermarket mounts that replicate the original "2 piece" mount with bobbin. One just has to know what to buy. Candidly, replacing them even with a press is like handling a live bass after dunking your hands in a bucket of oil. As a matter of fact, I'm replacing a pair today in a member's car.

Ed's price is fair unless you're a cheap bass turd.

Why would you use any URO Rubber parts?