Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tuthill Battery Box Oil Coolers

Probably a good idea to blank off the inner aspect of the battery box as well so as not to create a huge draft in the trunk.

We fitted them in our ST project and build custom air duck in front of the battery boxes and inside the glassfiber bumper ;-)
    Attached Images Attached Images         

Banned
    Actually pretty clever.

I would like to hear legit performance critique... from hot climates. Not those wimpy areas that only see 100 degree days.

Very slick.

I just called them. They're going to send me some prices on the oil cooler and various kit parts. I'll post when I get the info.
    Chris

Here is what they sent me.

WOW VAT at 20%. Now I get how they get free medical.
    I would still need the thermostat and all the plumbing aft of the cooler or coolers. This is for a 69 car. I have Elephants Carrera cooler and everything back to the tank on my 67.
    I would be interested in Frank's and Ed's, and any top tech's thoughts on these two systems.
    Chris Pomares

$4000 pounds is about $5600.

Has anyone plumbed oil lines in their rockers. Did you use hard or soft lines?
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 03-28-2018 at 03:03 PM.
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

Great photos Oliver.

The blokes at Tuthill were very nice and helpful which is probably a reflection of the quality of their work and products.

I think I would find it hard to go past this cooling option if I was to consider a build that requires it.

Umm maybe I will wait for the prices to be posted by Chris first.
    Mark

yes, thanks, OliveR for the pics. This may be a great option when my 70T goes under the knife.
    eric

Quote Originally Posted by cmpski View Post
    WOW VAT at 20%.
    If they ship directly to the USA then the VAT can be zero rated and you won't have to pay that proportion of the invoice.

The most cost effective method to plumb front coolers would be fit an Aeroquip 'Socketless' hose through the heater silencers - if you are not using a heat exchanger.

We do this on the Rally Cars we prepare as fitting the lines between the outer sill and centre sill worries me as it is possible to crush a sill on a Forest Track when cutting corners through ditches.

We run the inlet line though one sill and the return to the tank though the other sill and we use a -12 hose.

Any type of stacked plate and fin type cooler needs a significant air flow to be effective despite the relatively large surface area.

'Our' last 2.0 litre Rally car used a tube and fin cooler mounted under the grille on the decklid. The fins were relatively large diameter and
    we used a thermostatic sandwich plate under the filter and the oil temperature was always stable at around 90 degC.

I was only used in European conditions with ambient temperatures up to about 35 degC.

Chris,
    Thanks.
    This is a modified street car with heat. It's a 11 to 1 compression 2.7 POLO with 105 mm cylinders. As it has a large displacement for a 4 cylinder and only 4 sets of small fins on it, it will run quite warm. I run a Carrera cooler on my 2.4 67 and and am open to other options for this 69 car as it might run even warmer than my car. Love to see a picture of your under the decklid setup.
    Thanks again,Chris Pomares
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

Tuthill are well known and respected outfit ... Part of the U.K. motorsport scene for decades. Father and son. Iirc among other things they used to prep the 911 shells for the Rothmans SC RS for Dave Richards / Prodrive who are located in that same neck of the woods near Banbury in Oxfordshire. No affiliation. Skilled and experienced in 911 but haven't used them for my car as they are known as having a predominant rally focus.

A little film of the team on historic rally in Africa from a few years ago is in link here:

http://www.tuthillporsche.com/blog/t...s-ship-africa/

17 historic Porsches 5000km on East African roads with Blomqvist and Waldegård.

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 03-29-2018 at 09:03 AM.