Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hood badge flaws

Hood badge flaws

I have seen a thread about a cast flaw on the early Orange badge but cannot find it.

Went through a few boxes of the stuff we all purchase over the years and found this that I had.

Name:  IMG_0361.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  97.2 KB

On closer inspection I noticed a casting flaw above the P

The enamel is pretty good with the orange a little faded and the black is good and is even reflecting the sky above due to outside photo.

I am unsure as to what year it is for, it has the typical 901 and circled R and this emblem on the rear face.

Name:  IMG_0362.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  138.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0363.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  90.5 KB

What I would like to know is.

What year MY is it apt for and if anyone has seen the flaw above the P before.

Casting is always never perfect as we know but a flawed casting die sometimes gets missed by the manufactures for a period.

I have it cataloged as simply a 65- 74 badge but I am unsure

Kind regards.
    Mark

I have seen this before, it might be an old thread on here or pelican, there were several who had the same ‘flaw’.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

Yeah, it's a flaw down at the bottom in the casting. It's a dead giveaway for an original smooth back badge. Let me try to find mine and I'll fish it out. Now there may have been other badges that were original that didn't have the flaw but there was obviously a period where the badges were being made that had the flaw.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...badge+original
    Here's my badge. This was easier than digging out the badge and taking additional photos. Notice at the bottom of the crest you'll see a casting imperfection. It's the flaw on the back of the badge at the bottom. I didn't say this in that thread but I bought the badge off a guy who had this hood that have been removed from a 1972 and it had been in his attic for 40 plus years. My concern at the time was that I hadn't received an honest story but based on everybody else's input it appears that the story was true.

As far as your badge goes, I can't really say when it was made. There's a lot of disagreement and a lot of confusion over the pebble back badges. From what I gathered I think it was a later badge made circa 1974 or 1975. Would still be considered original.
    As far as your casting imperfection, I've not seen that one before, but I am far from an expert on these things.

Interesting. The imperfection above the P is completely different than his. Those imperfections look squished out whereas his looks like it has hard edges.

Thanks for the responses all.

Re Gearby last post,,, there was obviously "slag" left in the negative casting mold which stuck to it from a previous badge cast on the badge I posted.
    The defect on Moito's badge almost looks like a "stamping" error, which is super cool.

I love the little quirky differences that all our cars have,,,, you only get them with the "made by hand" era.

I also love the way the Orange fade rate was so dramatically different to the black enamel,,,, bit like a car painted RED these days.

Just a quick question,, I would assume ( not to make an ass out of you or me ) that Porsche did not cast these in house and probably had them "founded" out of house,, so to speak. In my 2nd photo is the circle with A and R. Is this a foundry signature ???

Also have another with a casting error on the bottom of the O ,,,, but the condition of the badge is a big fat ZERO

I must just attract FLAWS.

If anyone can place a MY on the OP badge it would be great ,,, or I will just keep it "tabbed" as a 65--74.

Kind regards.
    Last edited by NZVW; 03-26-2018 at 03:36 PM.
    Mark

I have had PM's and they are flattering however

My 12 year old son has been infected by the Porsche virus,, which we all know, a cure for has not been discovered.

He is probably the one of the few children that have 40 and 46 Weber carbs on his dresser as toys and can strip them and change parts probably quicker than most seasoned "old school" Carb boys.

If I want to sell something I will place it in the correct thread topic.

Kindest regards
    Mark Dowden
    Mark

If you go to the link I posted and go to Post # 9, a fellow member on here explains the R. Not sure what the A means.