Thread: Window issue.....haven't seen this before

Window issue.....haven't seen this before

Hi All,

Today I have experienced a new problem with my 69 targa. I have restored several 911's up till now but have not seen this problem before.

My driver window sticks out 2" when totally rolled down. The window is not stuck because the regulator stops at it's normal end (the bent piece on the rail). It has been so since I bought the car, but never noticed it, until now. Car has just been repainted in it's original color so trying to build it up to the best I can.

The regulator is a newer type (72-73) with the additional 'height adjuster bar'....I have checked everything....the mechanism is using the total thread...glass is stuck in the frame with perhaps 1/6" room ( I could win here a little bit but not enough, besides that this will tilt the window).

What am I missing here? Parts are interchangeable, right (have done so a few times myself, but perhaps there are different models). The regulator looks fine....not bent at all. Will investigate further this evening but puzzled....

Regards, frank

Frank -

Wrong glass piece? That's all I can think of!

- Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply.

I did change the glass but the issue also was there with the old glass in there. Checked the numbers today and if I google the regulator number (911.542.929.42) the site of our host says that this is a superseded lifter and needs different holes? Also referring to factory repair manual WKD 481 021, vol 6, group 8 page 4.6 2/1.

Unfortunately I do not have this manual. It looks like the holes for the guiding mechanism need to change. Tried to play with the slider to see whether this makes a difference but nothing changes....

Regards, frank

Is the regulator for a coupe?
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

No, targa regulator

Frank, it may be a regulator issue, last fall a couple days before driving to the 912 ECR my drivers window had a POP sound while rolling the window up, it is now as you describe, rolls up & down fine but not fully down, stays exposed about 2". Hate to say with other projects and winter I have not dug into it yet.

Good luck

Edit: late 65 coupe

HI Jerry,

Thanks for the tip...I will dig into this.

Regards, frank