Thread: targa front seal question

targa front seal question

Hi All,

Getting ready to install the front targa seal on my 69 911 (near the windscreen).

I noticed a hole in the rubber (on the 2 corners) and also holes in the body. The two holes do not line up correctly. Should there go a plastic plug through this hole? Same as on the rear targa seal? Can't remember that there was one.....if not meant for a plug: any idea what the purpose of the holes is??

Name:  front seal.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  69.6 KBName:  front seal1.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  73.9 KBName:  front seal2.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  35.9 KB

Thanks, frank

member #1515
    where did you get that seal? only one that works comes from Dan Pechtel.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply. I discussed it with Dan and his seals are perfect for 1970+ targa's. The pre 1970 are different and should be no issue....

Regards, frank

How does it compare with the old seal?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

They are completely the same. Don't think that there was a plug in there, but not sure why the holes are there? Drains, but that does not make a lot of sense to me.

Frank

I've done a 67 Targa and I swear the seal incorporated a plug that went in that hole, of course I have no pictures or proof!!??
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed Mayo is right, as always. What goes in that hole is a black plastic, ribbed, press-in (never to come out) plug to hold the seal in place so it doesn't shrink longitudinally. P/n 999 591 520 40. You should find a similar arrangement with your rear seal as well so 4 plugs total, as I recall.

You guys are good...

Hmmmm, ok.

I have the plugs, now the only thing I have to work out is how the get the rubber in there. Putting the plugs in is easy, but then it will be difficult to get the copper drains in the corner sitting nicely.

My thought is that the drains need to run vertically around the A pillar. Perhaps they need to run horizontally towards the corner of the A pillar?

I will try to find a DIY on the web, but so far no proof of concept found.

Thanks for the help.

Frank

The long leg of the drain needs to run vertically. I would leave the plugs off if that is what it took to make the drains lay correctly. Eventually those seals were just glued in place anyway.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.