Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If you're going to do it, at least do it right!

From what I can make out, it appears to have Weber carbs and a Solex Aircleaner

Jim

Jim I agree I ran the brightness up on the photo and it's clearly Webers. And what looks like a Hardi pump mounted vertically.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

"This early Porsche 911 is known to have been in New Jersey by the 1990s. The car has most recently been treated to a comprehensive, nut and bolt restoration to exacting factory specifications by an authorized Porsche dealer."
    I wonder if the buyer put a premium on the car because of the prestigious "authorized Porsche Dealer" restoration. It just looks like a thrown together "auction" to me.

Jim
    PS: Is Gas Monkey Garage a Authorized Porsche Dealer?

Replacement paint tag also.

So much replacement stuff the restorers should be embarrassed, dash pad alone is as far from "exacting factory specifications" as it gets.

Even the radio is wrong. Interesting how few photos there are of the engine and trunk details, but many (duplicated) exterior shots.

I'm sure the buyer is obliviously happy with his new acquisition.

See the catalog pics... http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/2480...ngth=10&page=5
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

I know people like nice shiny things, but we owned a 65 911 (bought in 72) which I drove through high school and a lot of the engine plating just looks overdone to me. Could be the pictures but my car never had such shiny bits.
    69 911S #1379
    65 356 SC #130757

Someone did it "right" enough to garner an obscene amount of money for the work. I wonder how the new owner is receiving the comments in this thread.

Hopefully, in the spirit in which they are intended, which is to point out areas for possible improvement, or at least information. If I spent that kind of $$ for a car I would either a) hire an expert to advise me prior to the purchase; or b) be grateful to receive the advice of experts, for free, in a public forum, on how I could improve it.

People who value SWB 911s do it presumably due to the originality of them-- not because of the huge horsepower, big tires, and 10-second quarter mile speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post
    Hopefully, in the spirit in which they are intended, which is to point out areas for possible improvement, or at least information. If I spent that kind of $$ for a car I would either a) hire an expert to advise me prior to the purchase; or b) be grateful to receive the advice of experts, for free, in a public forum, on how I could improve it.

People who value SWB 911s do it presumably due to the originality of them-- not because of the huge horsepower, big tires, and 10-second quarter mile speeds.
    No doubt about it. I sold a '73 911-S and kept the '67. I $h*t you not.

Still one of my favorite Porsche videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfYHCbyo6CE
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by ejboyd5 View Post
    Someone did it "right" enough to garner an obscene amount of money for the work. I wonder how the new owner is receiving the comments in this thread.
    Probably enjoying car and not giving a shit. You are not the market. The day of actual buyers caring about such things in this price range are over. Look good and run good. That's it. If some dweeb comes up and starts telling me what's wrong with my car I just tell him to STFU--You are old.
    1969 911S Targa
    1970 911S Coupe
    1973 911T w 3.2
    1972 Alfa GTV 2000