Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which original antenna for 911 from 69-73?

Which original antenna for 911 from 69-73?

During the last old timer exhibition in Germany I checked which antennas are available.
    Is there an overview available which antenna was used on the 911 LWB models from 1969 until 1973?

I learned that the antennas used in the USA were longer compared to the European ones.

1. Hirschmann Auta 4000
    2. Hirschmann Auto 4000 for Porsche 911/912
    3. Hirschmann Auto 4000 for Porsche 911/912 (Black)
    4. With special head
    5. Retro anetnna with read head
    6. Auto 4000 universal
    7. Poddig Antenna 150 cm
    8. Poddig Antenna 130 cm

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Lots of info out there on this. In general, the Hirschmann AUTA 4900 LS 18 antenna is considered most correct for 70-73 cars. It's identical up top to the factory installed antennas with only slight differences under the fender. It was also the antenna commonly installed by dealers back in the day.

For 69 and earlier cars, it get murkier. I continue to believe that the Bosch blue tips are most correct for 1969 cars as I have three original cars that were delivered with that antenna. I've also seen other antennas on 69 cars claimed as factory installed so there are likely multiple correct antennas for 69 and earlier cars.

I imagine there were some variations over the years as the accessories changed, suppliers modified stock, etc.

It would be interesting to see how many are out there like below, which are original to some 69-70 cars. I have not seen many like this:

The first is on the 700 mile S:
    Name:  Antenna cap - 700 mile S.jpg
Views: 1305
Size:  26.9 KB

The second is of my 69S:
    Name:  antenna cap on my car.jpg
Views: 1400
Size:  81.0 KB

The third is another 69-70 car:
    Name:  antenna.jpg
Views: 1371
Size:  50.6 KB
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

The last one is the equivalent of the AUTA 4900 LS 18. Interesting to see on a '69 car. Wonder if it's late? This antenna is on every single one of my 70-73 cars and has been on the vast, vast majority of the cars I've seen from these years. The top two appear to be either be a slightly different variation or the ring has just been screwed down further exposing more of the plastic top

We're really just running our mouths, though. This information has been discussed ad nauseum in numerous prior threads. Search is your friend.

online search did not give me propper results---what would be the correct mast colour for a 1970 factory installed hirschmann antenna...and are there black and chrome versions of the auta 4900LS 18 ...thanks much
    franz

Quote Originally Posted by moito View Post
    online search did not give me a propper results---what would be the correct mast colour for a 1970 factory installed hirschmann antenna...and are there black and chrome versions of the auta 4900LS 18 ...thanks much
    franz
    bump........

I believe only chrome was used until 74?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    I believe only chrome was used until 74?
    Agreed. And I have never seen a black version of the Auta 4900LS 18.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    The last one is the equivalent of the AUTA 4900 LS 18. Interesting to see on a '69 car. Wonder if it's late? This antenna is on every single one of my 70-73 cars and has been on the vast, vast majority of the cars I've seen from these years. The top two appear to be either be a slightly different variation or the ring has just been screwed down further exposing more of the plastic top

We're really just running our mouths, though. This information has been discussed ad nauseum in numerous prior threads. Search is your friend.
    Those antennas are the ones that I have always assumed were correct for factory installations. I've seen 100s of them on Porsches through the years, I've even got one on my late production 65 356C.

Regards

Jim

Jim

I have one NOS for those looking for a correct antenna