Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to remove S-Caliper dust boots

How to remove S-Caliper dust boots

Apologies if this is covered somewhere else. I am rebuilding my S-Calipers (1972). I am struggling with removing the dust boots. Any tips? Just don't want to damage the caliper. And as long as you are dispensing advice, are the new dust boots a pain to get in? Tips? Thanks.

Am I the only person who has had this issue?

Dust boots on S calipers are a little more difficult. If you are planning on a complete rebuild, I would soak the caliper in carb cleaner over night and then pick the dust boots out with a dental pic.

Installing new boots is also difficult. Many post on Pelican on this subject.
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress

Quote Originally Posted by brad boardman View Post
    Am I the only person who has had this issue?
    The dust boots in S calipers are a PITA. You need to pry them out with a sharp, strong, pointed instrument. They are even a bigger PITA to replace. Been there, done that, dozens of times.

Jim

Thanks Jim and Tom. I am just worried that I am going to damage the aluminum if I start picking at them. Should I be worried or should I just have at it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    The dust boots in S calipers are a PITA. You need to pry them out with a sharp, strong, pointed instrument. They are even a bigger PITA to replace. Been there, done that, dozens of times.

Jim

[QUOTE=brad boardman;970681]Thanks Jim and Tom. I am just worried that I am going to damage the aluminum if I start picking at them. Should I be worried or should I just have at it?[/Q

Just have at it. Actually a medium sized flat screw driver will do nicely. Try and not score the aluminum area where the seal is but if you do, it won't rally matter. Please report back with your results. It shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes.

Ciao

Jim

This sounds like a set-up. Are you hazing me Jim?

[QUOTE=Jim Breazeale;970682]
    Quote Originally Posted by brad boardman View Post
    Thanks Jim and Tom. I am just worried that I am going to damage the aluminum if I start picking at them. Should I be worried or should I just have at it?[/Q

Just have at it. Actually a medium sized flat screw driver will do nicely. Try and not score the aluminum area where the seal is but if you do, it won't rally matter. Please report back with your results. It shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes.

Ciao

Jim

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jim

The dust seal is essentially the same style as the standard cast iron caliper seals. Some have the steel ring encased in the rubber seal. This is likely what you have.
    The only one I have see that was different was my old prototype 908/910 caliper which had a stepped bore and the seal sat within the step; it was sort of like an old ribbed rubber stopper like an old Thermos bottle had. I've never seen another dust seal like it.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    The dust seal is essentially the same style as the standard cast iron caliper seals. Some have the steel ring encased in the rubber seal. This is likely what you have.
    The only one I have see that was different was my old prototype 908/910 caliper which had a stepped bore and the seal sat within the step; it was sort of like an old ribbed rubber stopper like an old Thermos bottle had. I've never seen another dust seal like it.
    Well, I tell you what, they are a major pain. I will get to work on them later this weekend and report back. In the meantime, if anyone has other secret tricks, lay 'em on me.