Thread: Hex size gas tank drain plug '66 (the large plug)

Hex size gas tank drain plug '66 (the large plug)

Does anyone know the hex size for the drain plug in the gas tank of a '66? The larger of the two, on driver's side with tank installed rather than the proper center drain plug. I didn't tighten enough before re-installing tank. Now it leaks gas. A tight spot. Need to know the size before attacking my Allen wrenches with the grinder.
    '66 912 with a 2.2
    '62 Lotus Seven S2
    '66 Lotus Elan
    '63 Karmann Ghia convertible
    '76 Alfa Spider

Attacking the Allen wrenches with a grinder is not the best idea when a suitable key is easily made by welding a nut and bolt together.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Good point. Any idea of the size?
    '66 912 with a 2.2
    '62 Lotus Seven S2
    '66 Lotus Elan
    '76 Alfa Spider

What tank do you have in the car?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I believe it's the stock tank from '65. Looks like this one. http://www.stoddard.com/90120102306.html

No large (sparkplug wrench size) drain in the bottom. It has three holes. Drain in center. Hole with fuel strainer to fuel line. And one with a plug that I think is the same size as the fuel strainer. This plug is the one that's leaking.
    '66 912 with a 2.2
    '62 Lotus Seven S2
    '66 Lotus Elan
    '76 Alfa Spider

I asked because I thought you were describing a 73 and later tank. There are three holes in the lower rear of your tank, drivers side is the feed line to the pump, and has the filter sock. That one takes a 27 mm open end wrench, or a 32 mm if you have the new replacement strainer. The one on the passenger side would also take a filter IF you had a gas heater. From memory that hex size is 10 mm. That should be accessible enough for a right angle allen head wrench.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thank you. I'll give it another try with a 10 mm.
    '66 912 with a 2.2
    '62 Lotus Seven S2
    '66 Lotus Elan
    '76 Alfa Spider

Plug is DIN 908 22 x 1,5 takes a 10 mm allen

Try the wobble head Allen.........AKA ball end wrench