Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horn honks when turning steering wheel

Horn honks when turning steering wheel

I just replaced sterring wheel on 1970 LWB and when I turn the steering wheel hard right or hard left the horn honks. Is there any trick to get the horn button pin to NOT make contact as wheel turns? Thanks.

Usually the rubber spring needs to be replaced.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I have a new rubber spring in the bat wing. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mscott842 View Post
    I have a new rubber spring in the bat wing. Thanks.
    Any chance you did not install correctly?

Check that the 3 screws that hold the metal pieces on the under side of the horn button are snug. This is a very common problem.

Regards

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    Check that the 3 screws that hold the metal pieces on the under side of the horn button are snug. This is a very common problem.

Regards

Jim
    +1 that was my problem when it happened to me.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

I checked screws an all are tight. Issue now, after cleaning and polishing contact points, is that as I place bat wing back on to steering wheel, horn sticks in "on" position. I tried filing down the top of the brass horn switch a bit to lower the contact point but it remains stuck in on position as bat wing settles into locked position. Is the approach of filing down the brass button on the horn switch a common practice, or am I making the problem worse? Thanks for any input.

Let's see a picture of the backside of the bat wing to be sure your hardware is on correctly, from the backside picture tell us which is the topside of the bat wing. Also just thought of something else I think there are 2 sizes of the brass horn contact pin there is a longer one for early 914's so it can reach through the plastic housing. That could be your problem.

Name:  LongPin.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  47.4 KBName:  SHortPin.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  81.5 KB
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Besides the above tip, did you transfer all the hardware from the old wheel? Spring and cup washer.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Below are photos of my wheel, horn switch and cup washer.... ahhh... no spring... old wheel had no spring.... I guess that could be it. I feel really dumb right now...

Name:  IMG_6627.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  146.8 KBName:  IMG_6628.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  113.1 KBName:  IMG_6629.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  144.4 KBName:  IMG_6630.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  163.6 KB