Thread: 67 S Red Shroud

67 S Red Shroud

Did my homework and read the collective knowledge. My question is "what does the final surface look like after dyeing, gelcoating etc."? The surface of the shroud look line a series of spider web cracks. However it is smooth to the touch. Could easily be seeing individual strands of the embedded fiberglass. Some of the threads have un refinished shroud pictures which appear somewhat similar but the resolution is not clear enough for me to confirm. When refinished should this me a solid surface as though it were painted. Here is the best I can do by way of a picture.Name:  WP_20180526_13_55_40_Pro.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  71.9 KBName:  WP_20180526_13_55_46_Pro.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  72.6 KB Surface is dirty but smooth to the touch. If those are cracks they are below the surface. Edge of the second picture show what I am talking about the most clearly

Lightbulb

When refinished should this me a solid surface as though it were painted.
    No.... It should still have the 'strands' visible under a fairly smooth to the touch surface...
    And if I'm not mistaken, the pre-'69 S shrouds were a darker red then the later ones....

Here's a detail from my '73 brochure showing a '72 engine... you can see a shinny common surface WITH the strands visable underneath.....

Hope this helps....

cm
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 05-26-2018 at 02:06 PM.
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Thank you Chuck. Makes my shroud all the better. Just got to fix a small cutout that the PO made for coil. Obviously used it on a later model. Will try you dye method for recoloring.

'67 is a different red than the later shrouds.

http://www.series900.com

Go to "Shrouds".

Damon made this for a '74 "modded" car running PMO's. Holes at left rear at #3 on the flat are plugged.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

You are talking about the "Hairy Texture." An unmistakable hallmark of originals. Damon has replicated this perfectly. . .

Then again what do you expect from a guy so obsessed with shroud perfection that he makes art out of them? Remember this composition, "Ferry's wheel?"

1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

I see people talking about painting, re gelcoating, etc. Thought that might be a solid surface with nothing showing. Figured they must know what they were talking about. As both you and Chuck point out that is the wrong solution. Thanks for the input. Biggest problem now is cleaning off 50 years of oil and grime without screwing up the correct surface.

Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post
    You are talking about the "Hairy Texture." An unmistakable hallmark of originals. Damon has replicated this perfectly. . .

Then again what do you expect from a guy so obsessed with shroud perfection that he makes art out of them? Remember this composition, "Ferry's wheel?"

And built his own "959" (that is 4wd!) from scratch making all the body panels. He knows every idiosyncrasy of the Porsche Fan Shroud(s). In fact I pulled out a new in the bod (old) NOS part I have and he went over it like Sherlock Holmes.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111