Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Correct "Above the bumper driving lights"

Correct "Above the bumper driving lights"

Hi,

Since finding this excellent thread on option codes,(http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-or-list/page2), I am now completely confused as to what "above the bumper driving lights" on the COA refers to.

Is it the through the grill lights as here:

Name:  20151016_104203_bearbeitet.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  111.0 KB

Or the lights attached to the front fenders like here:

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-01-18 at 22.59.40.png
Views: 851
Size:  414.0 KB

My car came from Belgium, which seems to have a lot of the front fender Cibie's, with an option code M432. What would be the option code for the fender-mounted lights?

Thanks for any help,

Dario
    ____o0o____

1972 Targa 911S (one day), silver gray (maybe), member 3337

Hi Dario,

no Option codes for fender mounted Cibies.

Same for 7/8 fuchs.

BR

Dirk

TTG lights as appear on the red car.

Quote Originally Posted by Florio View Post
    My car came from Belgium, which seems to have a lot of the front fender Cibie's, with an option code M432. What would be the option code for the fender-mounted lights?
    M432 is for through the grille lights (TTG's), similar to your first picture. However, there are two types of TTG's, fog lights and driving lights. Your option code is for driving lights. Visually they do not have the heavily fluted lens of the fog lights. As I understand it this option is quite rare. My Euro 70T also came with M432. Pic:

Those are a great help, thank you to everyone!

Of course, I had convinced myself that it was the ones on the fender

I suppose I'll be selling the Cibies I started restoring and start looking for hellas 118 instead... On the upside, I didn't get around to drilling the holes in the fenders yet

Thanks again,

Dario
    ____o0o____

1972 Targa 911S (one day), silver gray (maybe), member 3337

Several possibilities exist for "above the bumper" lights:
    M 431 : Additional long range driving lights, yellow, above bumper
    M 432 : Quartz-iodine long range lamps, white. Above bumper. (Through-the-grille driving lights)
    M 433 : Halogen fog lights, white, above bumper
    M 434 : Halogen fog lights, yellow, above bumper

The 1968 accessories manual illustrated lights with special horn grilles with option codes and descriptions:

9420 Long-range iodine lights above bumper
    9421 Iodine fog light above bumper (yellow)

These are Hella lights that use H-3 bulbs.

Does anybody have documentable use of these during the 1967 model year?

My 7/66 accessories booklet (which would have presaged 67 model year) makes mention only of 9293 fog lights (noting they were standard equipment on 911S). These are shown under the bumper in the lateral areas otherwise covered by plates which we all know well. Thus it seems the more "exotic" added lights discussed above first appeared on 1968 model year production cars.

I have that too -- and other 1967 sales literature that does not mention them -- but if I actually publish it in a book, someone will send me a Kardex showing earlier use. These were not available on US spec. cars as far as I know.

There were 118mm lights which were Euro and not legal in USA, they had the quartz H3 bulbs. Then there were USA 115s Fogs that had tungsten bulbs, no driving lights in this size only fogs, I believe DOT would not approve the H3 bulb. So no USA cars had 118s from factory but you could have bought them over the counter at the parts counter and installed them yourself. Above the bumper ATB fogs only in USA as an option.

The following, yellow UK spec 118 fogs with yellow lenses and H3 bulbs. Then 118 driving lights which were were almost the same throughout all years but SWB got longer mounting studs and a spacer to fit the early horn grilles. These lights are 100% original.
    Attached Images Attached Images