Thread: HELP NEEDED!! Need Correct Battery for SWB 911

HELP NEEDED!! Need Correct Battery for SWB 911

Made a mistake buying a gel battery.

I need the wisdom of the scholars to find a battery with the correct dimensions to fit the battery tray, and suggestions as to which battery works best/longest.

All scholarship appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Mike. I am using a 8a22nf, non-spillable agm battery in my swb cars, I have been using them since 1999,never had a problem, I have 4&6 cylinder cars, I have never had one fail,I replace every 5-6 years, I do not use tenders or maintainers,I disconnect in winter, Manufactured by Deka East Penn Pa.
    registry #2072

Any "group 51R" battery has worked well for me and will fit the SWB plastic tray. I've used Interstate in the past and most recently, Autocraft (Advanced Auto), but any reputable brand will do. Cheep and cheerful, gets the job done. With seasonal use, they last exactly 4yrs. Ask me how I know.

I've been through various brands Deka, Bosch, etc. Last installed two Odyssey batteries fall 2016. So far so good. Compact size agm type that can mount multiple positions. Some folks also shop Miata batteries as size is comparable. I went to agm to avoid ongoing corrosion in battery compartments. Odyssey drop shipped ready to install if not available locally.

Best of luck.

thank you all. with your wisdom, i think we got it fixed.

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    My understanding is the original battery was--according to Upfixin der Porsche, Vol 11 Page 113--22NF (popular in tractors) but 2HN (military) may be a better fit.

51R works.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet