Thread: 72 T brake upgrade question..

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

72 T brake upgrade question..FOLLOW UP QUESTION

I'm not ready to pull the trigger on a $5K brake upgrade on my 72 hot rod build, so I was giving thought to replacing the front and rear calipers with new OEM calipers as equipped on mid-to-late 80s vintage Carreras. Wondering how much - if any - these are an 'upgrade' to the stock 72 iron calipers (will be changing the front struts to accommodate 3.5" caliper mounting. Thank you.
    Last edited by mac73s; 08-12-2018 at 08:16 AM.

Excellent upgrade, you be happy with the results!
    '67 911S
    '69 911S
    '70 911ST
    '73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
    '78 911SC backdate EFI 3.4 turbo
    '11 Spyder
    Early S#1097, R-gruppe #

Quote Originally Posted by endo911rs View Post
    Excellent upgrade, you be happy with the results!
    Thank you, and most happy with your response - was hoping for that solution. Since the Carrera's brakes were 'boosted', will I need to add that and or change out the master cylinder?

Nope. Use the stock 19mm MC. Upgrade the soft lines. You will need Calipers, Rotors, Pads (Porterfield R4-S), hard lines to the calipers and it would be a good time to do front wheel bearings.
    '67 911S
    '69 911S
    '70 911ST
    '73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
    '78 911SC backdate EFI 3.4 turbo
    '11 Spyder
    Early S#1097, R-gruppe #

Nope. Use the stock 19mm MC. Upgrade the soft lines. You will need Calipers, Rotors, Pads (Porterfield R4-S), hard lines to the calipers and it would be a good time to do front wheel bearings.
    Thank you again...yes...I replace all such parts/components as a matter of routine.

As a follow up, I see that the 'middle' ground (at least as far as cost is concerned) might be the Boxster caliper retro-fit...AASE, for example, has the kits that include the adapter brackets. Thoughts would be appreciated on going the Boxster caliper route vs. the Carrera option that i started this thread with. Thank you

When purchasing new rotors, are the stock 72 rotors applicable to the upgraded mid-late 80s Carrera calipers, or will I need to purchase rotors specific for the Carrera?? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by mac73s View Post
    When purchasing new rotors, are the stock 72 rotors applicable to the upgraded mid-late 80s Carrera calipers, or will I need to purchase rotors specific for the Carrera?? Thank you.

Carrera calipers require Carrera rotors. Carrera rotors are thicker than SC and earlier rotors.
    Carrera and SC front calipers are virtually the same except for a slightly
    Wider spacer between the halves on the Carrera calipers.
    The rear calipers on a Carrera have a slightly larger piston and a different entry point for the brake
    Line than SC calipers (that are virtually identical to your 73 calipers).
    One of the tricks used to get the thicker rotor on Carreras was to use a slightly
    Larger spacer and use a thinner pad. Carrera pads are like putting SC pads that are half
    Worn out on your car.

Regards

Jim