Thread: American racing magnesium wheels

American racing magnesium wheels

I bought an interesting 356 roadster race car recently and it came with 7 original American Racing magnesium wheels. I am going to have them safety checked of course, and intend to use four of them on the project, maybe keeping a spare.

I assume they can be trusted after they are checked?

Any sense on what they are worth?
    Last edited by rower; 08-29-2018 at 08:58 AM.

I think they came in different widths. What size are the wheels? 6" 5" 5.5"?

Quote Originally Posted by jimhuiz View Post
    I think they came in different widths. What size are the wheels? 6" 5" 5.5"?
    I don’t know actually as they are in a stack in storage. They were wearing Goodyear Blue Streaks 4.25 / 7.00 - 15

Stored since 1973.

Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    I bought an interesting 356 roadster race car recently and it came with 7 original American Racing magnesium wheels. I am going to have them safety checked of course, and intend to use four of them on the project, maybe keeping a spare.

I assume they can be trusted after they are checked?

Any sense on what they are worth?
    They are worth silly money. I would suggest keeping all 7, though. More than likely they are 6 X 15. I had a set of 15 X 7 American Racing wheels with "R" offset that came of off a 62 356Cab Racecar that I bought a few years ago. Only set I have ever seen or heard of. You will be constantly filling the tires with air as the wheels are very porous.

Regards

Jim

I have 6 x 15 magnesium's mounted on my car which were restored and painted by Harvey Weidman. Seem to be holding air pressure fine so far.

MarkName:  IMG_3833.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  175.8 KB
    Mark Curtin
    Early S Registry #369
    Rgruppe #247

Nice ride Mark...

Thanks Bill,
    I purchased it new in July of 1971, 47 years and and still a delight to drive.

Mark
    Mark Curtin
    Early S Registry #369
    Rgruppe #247