Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some help with my front shocks 71 T

Need some help with my front shocks 71 T

I just got my 1971 911t running and on the road and it definitely needs new front shocks! I THINK they are Borgs but can’t see any ID numbers without removing them, the brake lug spacing is 3 1/2”, can anyone ID them from this photo?

What are my shock options? Any recommendations? THANKS in advance for the help!

Name:  D0CC3D90-E69C-4FF5-99FC-D4704EFEB4B3.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  115.0 KB

Is this a coupe or targa.
    The black are usually Boge ...sometimes hard to see the fine printing.
    The calipers appear to be S type also based on 3.5 spacing.
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)

Strange doings in that photo....

'70-'71 Ts did not come with alloy "S" calipers, and I don't think it was offered as an option...at least in the US.

Also your A arm has no paint...they were black from the factory. the strut has the through bolt, not wedge, So it's period correct. Black suggests Boge, but 3.5" caliper spacing on Boges is rare...most were Konis.

Hmmmm? Some more history please.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Mark ment to say your 71 should have a pinch bolt to secure the strut to the ball joint, not the wedge hardware your car has. Probably 73 or later strut, brakes and ball joint/A arm. Boge setup allows you to install Koni or Bilstein inserts. G
    Last edited by gled49; 09-04-2018 at 09:26 AM.

I found a number on my shock
    Name:  7A3D2139-83F5-4DD4-8B98-79E034085B02.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  54.9 KB

variation on this thread, just put some Sachs inserts into my original 71 Boge T struts, they seem to be weeping oil/fluid down the outside of the housings, Was told that the seals have to "break in" and some weeping of fluid will occur before that happens, Fact or fiction,? Thanks for the help

Looks like my car has different struts on each side? The right side is the one pictured above with numbers 1-0211-32 / 911-341 with a triangle symbol which I think is Koni? Here is a photo of its top
    Name:  C81B14C3-464A-4B62-A733-9FEA0373A30F.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  71.6 KB

The strut on the left side says “BOGE” it and has a top like this Name:  EB86452A-34F9-4F73-9C7E-A4E7F15BAF61.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  74.1 KB and the bottom like this Name:  51CB699A-EC08-46D8-8AC0-C8EFD3A7E7D4.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  66.5 KB

So what’s the best path forward? Which side should I keep? They both have the same 3 1/2 caliper lug spacing.

Thanks for any help on this!
    Dan

After reading a lot of posts I “think” I am looking for a drivers side Koni 3 1/2 strut? Am I correct?

My opinion is that you have a 3-1/2" Boge strut on the right, with wedge type ball joint. The left looks like a hydro-pneumatic with a Koni insert adapted. Common in the eighties to fix the hydro-pneumatic struts. It also appears to have wedge type ball joints since I don't see a slit on the bottom of either strut. Is the diameter of the left strut significantly larger than the right side. Jim Brazeale,,,,we need your good eye here !
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    My opinion is that you have a 3-1/2" Boge strut on the right, with wedge type ball joint. The left looks like a hydro-pneumatic with a Koni insert adapted. Common in the eighties to fix the hydro-pneumatic struts. It also appears to have wedge type ball joints since I don't see a slit on the bottom of either strut. Is the diameter of the left strut significantly larger than the right side. Jim Brazeale,,,,we need your good eye here !
    Both are the about the same diameter 2.050
    What makes you think the left strut has a Koni insert? The right strut has a triangle on it, isn’t that Koni or do Boge’s also have triangles?

Could I put New Koni inserts in both of these? Or should look for regular Boge for the left?

Thanks for your help Jim!