Thread: FUCHS RSR finish protection??

FUCHS RSR finish protection??

I have a set of Fuchs restored in an RSR finish, and before mounting tires on them, I thought an application of a flat or matt clear would help protect them from the ravages of brake dust, cleaning solutions, etc. I would be spraying with a high-quality clear...not rattle can stuff. Perhaps I'm wrong, but the 'frosted' finish would appear more susceptible to staining. I don't want to change the look of the wheels, so I want to choose the right clear. Thoughts would be appreciated.

member #1515
    Talk to Harvey, but I think a coat of Vaseline then wipe off is the best protection.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    Talk to Harvey, but I think a coat of Vaseline then wipe off is the best protection.
    Thank you...I had heard of the Vaseline application but did not know if that would work on the frosted finish. The wheels were not done by Harvey so I'm reluctant to go to that step...seems only fair not to bother him

A heavy layer of brake dust works well to protect mine
    '67 911S
    '69 911S
    '70 911ST
    '73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
    '78 911SC backdate EFI 3.4 turbo
    '11 Spyder
    Early S#1097, R-gruppe #

PAM. Used car lot detailer.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Gibbs on mine

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

member #1515
    The Vaseline works well on the frosted finish too and makes it a lot easier to wash off brake dust.
    I would not spray any clear as it will most likely start to flake of or get sandblasted by road dirt creating an uneven finish. The anodized surface is harder than any paint.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Thank you all for your suggestions...most appreciated.

Felgenwachs
    https://wackchem.com/p21s-felgen-wachs
    Probably sth. like this exists in the US too