Thread: Hub centric hub question..

Hub centric hub question..

I am going to use 74+ aluminum trailing arms on my 72 build and wondering if the hub-centric hubs that I believe would have been used with the later arms are necessary - or preferred - over the 'flat' hubs that are original to my 72 steel arms. I trial fitted both versions to a 6X15 early FUCH and the later 16" FUCHs that I will be using and can't see the benefits of the hub-centric units as the wheel contact area for them is actually very slight and most of the hub surface stands off from the wheel...hope this makes sense. Thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

BUMP for some help please...I need to get one or the other pair ready to install and don't want to install the wrong ones. I'm inclined to use the original 'flat' hubs...the hub-centric ones just don't seem to sit properly against the FUCHS. Was there a specific purpose in going to the hub-centric pieces? Thank you

I may not have the correct answer your looking for but, the hub centric purpose is to keep the wheel centered on the hub and centered on the stub axle. A much better centering fit than the 5 lugs of a wheel fit. Also it's perfered when using spacers for the correct centering fit. I don't think you can mount the early Fuchs directly to the hub centric's without a spacer. I know others have a better answer but I hope this helps a little.
    Mark Jung
    MFI Werks
    Early 911S Registry #972
    Carrera T w/LWB, MT, RWS, PCCB
    72 T 66 x 100 MFI Twin Plug Coupe
    R Gruppe #686

Quote Originally Posted by 2.5MFI View Post
    I may not have the correct answer your looking for but, the hub centric purpose is to keep the wheel centered on the hub and centered on the stub axle. A much better centering fit than the 5 lugs of a wheel fit. Also it's perfered when using spacers for the correct centering fit. I don't think you can mount the early Fuchs directly to the hub centric's without a spacer. I know others have a better answer but I hope this helps a little.
    Mark - thank you for the reply...very helpful.

I’m pretty sure the center bore of pre 74 wheels is too small for the hub centric hubs. If you use 16’s this won’t matter. I like the hub centric set up better, but I’ve never had a problem with 5 lug lug-centric wheels not centering. I had problems on the 914 I used to own if I wasn’t very careful in tightening the 4 lug bolts evenly.
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green