Thread: 70's US VANs wanted

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar

70's US VANs wanted

Greetings,

I have in mind since years to put in my stable a US brand Van from the 1970 era - running on gas (no diesel) and V8.
    I am currently watching and biding to a certain $ limit on BAT - Ford Econoline Chateau.

What kind of cool van (no pickup - bus or commercial) was in the 70's - V8 petrol ?
    What would be the budget for a very nice/mint condition ?
    Anyone has one for sale ?

All the best.
    X
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Skip the van part. You need this to haul a couple of Moto Guzzis or a Munch.red ewagon.jpg

Hi Xavier been there 4 years ago.
    I wnted something like a Chevy or Ford econoline or similar.
    What I found interesting was the swiss market as there were some US Vans like dodge or Swiss Mowag that were used as firetruck or airport vehicles.
    After looking at a Dodge Ram having a tape measure with me I didn't necessarily fancy the idea of those americans anymore. Large from the outside but only 2.7 meters on on the inside.
    I wouldn't insist on 8 cyl a 6 cyl is ok too, back then there were no diesels.
    By accident I ended up with this (here before blasting & rust repair I did last year)
    It now has got 26k kms and after working on it 3 weeks last year it's good for the next 40 years
    20170617_140232.jpg

Gburner
    When new the Mid 70s Dodge surfer van conversions were very popular.
    In the 70s Dodge dealers would have them for sale with custom paint jobs and full interiors on the new car lot.
    My mom had a new 76 Dodge van conversion and took it on many trips.
    Back in the day you had your van conversion and tow a slick high hp ski boat to the Colorado river for a weekend of speed, women, booze and debauchery.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gburner
    Quote Originally Posted by doigthom View Post
    Skip the van part. You need this to haul a couple of Moto Guzzis or a Munch.red ewagon.jpg
    Full pass!

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    Eric, youuuu oouuu ouuurs ?

Uli, I get your point - however I have a 4 inline (UK car), a flat 6 ( German car) and now want a V8 (what else than an US vehicule) - apart from that, I remerber when I was a child being crazy about those US vans pictured in either "Hot Rod" or "Custom" magazines. On top I need to tow my 1973 race car with and promote one of my business too - I may end up with a VW, now am following the US V8 van track - thanks for the swiss pointing, will start that way too.

Lovely blue van, that one rocks !
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

not american
    not V8
    but petrol and cool

had one many years ago when they where still cheap
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x5wpQ2UeAI

Look at the dodge A100 vans. They had slant 6's or V-8's. Motor is between the driver and passenger seat.

FWIW I learned to drive in one. 3 on the tree baby!
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300