Thread: Early Coupe Door Glass

Early Coupe Door Glass

I am trying to put more 1967 doors together but the glass doesn’t want to fit without binding

I am unsure if the glass is correct it came in a box with the car

I know the frames are pre 68 as they are brass and chrome

Is there a difference in glass windows by model year?

All help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance

Ray

Is it binding if you just manually (no regulator) slide the glass in the window channels?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Yes! It is doing exactly that

It's easy for the long leg, opposite vent, to get bent. Lie the frame on flat table with bowed side up and place door glass on top -- check that curve of chrome legs matches that of glass. Also measure across -- from inside of one track to inside of opposite track in various locations to see how it compares to glass width.
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

i Have checked the PET and there are 2 part numbers
    -67 and 68-
    I have also read the earlier glass is “bigger” I don’t yet know if “bigger” is thicker or larger or higher!

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Toffynose View Post
    i Have checked the PET and there are 2 part numbers
    -67 and 68-
    I have also read the earlier glass is “bigger” I don’t yet know if “bigger” is thicker or larger or higher!

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    u have a pic of the etching on the glass...
    some repro glass is almost a mm thicker than originalos and a PITA.
    your frames maybe also still have the early u-shape rubber/steel window guide.
    pics would help

I put a couple of drops of WD40 on my binding window guide. It solved the problem instantly. This was original glass going into replacement guides (I think the guides are original Porsche, but supplied by the previous owner so not sure). I tried various other things first, making sure the runners were straight, readjusting all the frame bolts in the correct factory order, removing and replacing the runners, etc.

I had a similar problem on my 67, where just the glass was tight just sliding in the frame without the regulator attached. The window channels are different depths and widths front and rear. There are two different channels called for in the original parts book. My problem was too much clearance with new channels, allowing the window to cock to one side when coming down. I finally solved it by putting a spacer behind one of the vertical strips. Been fine for many years. The problem I think is due to not having the channels as they used to be configured in 67. But I did have to use different channels front and rear, not both the same as in later cars.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.