Thread: Help with early electrical wiring

Help with early electrical wiring

Hello I am finishing the restoration on my 1968 911 I am having issues with electrical wiring at the ignition switch and the relay board @ the engine compartment. The two wiring diagrams L 57 and L59 do not match at the ignition switch nor at the engine compartment relay board the wiring is original 6 28 68 is the production date its a Karman coupe VIN is 11835532 At the ignition switch the numbering is different there is no # 75 the switch appears to be original none locking with the steering wheel. At the relay board there are no fuses there is a voltage regulator a resistor for the coil and a relay for the fuel pump ? there also is a two lug terminal block where a large black wire battery, and a large red wire alternator? then there are a couple of wires there as well that long ago was alerted for a internal voltage regulator in the alternator which is now back to the original same thing with the coil which uses the resistor so its old school . Seems none of the wiring diagrams show my cars proper color or numbers like at the ignition switch does any one have a photos of the relay board sans the two fuses showing the proper wiring and there is also a grey wire there that seems has no where to go ?
    Thanks for any help

Let’s start with some photos of your locations as described
    We can then help , too hard to follow the various issues
    Frank
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)

Do a search for "ignition switch wiring" I just did a quick one and pulled up this,,,,may or may not help, there are lots of posts to read thru. Such as this one.

A previous answer;
    Even if I could get a picture of the back of the switch it wouldn't do you any good since you couldn't see the terminal numbers on the back of the switch, but the wires attach thusly; Term. 30 is hot, it gets a red 6mm wire from the light switch, and a red 4mm wire that comes from the hi-lo steering column switch. Term. 50 is a 6mm wire to the starter solenoid. 15 is ignition on and goes to the hot side of fuse one. Term. 75 should be a red/white wire which is to power the radio. Term. 57 should be a white or gray wire also going to the hi-lo switch. What do you have left? There may be stuff people have added. It's amazing how some of this wiring gets butchered.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.