Thread: '72 engine lid letter color: black, chrome, or alloy?

'72 engine lid letter color: black, chrome, or alloy?

I recently purchased a '72 911T coupe. The engine lid grille is black anodized, and the 911T emblem and PORSCHE letters are clearly aftermarket black, either heavily anodized or some other very dense black. The window trim etc. is all chrome. I have heard conflicting information about what finish the letters and 911T emblem should be, chrome, alloy finish or black anodized, etc.? I'd like to know the definitive answer.
    1972 2.7 RS spec 911T, Aubergine
    1979 911SC backdate 3.2SS hot rod
    1974 914-6 2.2

Decklid emblem and letters should be black for your 72.

I'm still confused. I see photos of '72 911s with black trim around the turn signal lenses, and silver letters and emblems on the decklid, and many with chrome around the lenses, and black letters/emblem, as well as other combinations. Was there some type of option for different trim color? Are the variations just that people put what they like on the cars? I tend to think a dark colored car with chrome trim looks good with silver letters and emblem on the deckled, but I'd like to better understand the authenticity of various configurations.
    1972 2.7 RS spec 911T, Aubergine
    1979 911SC backdate 3.2SS hot rod
    1974 914-6 2.2

72's are an odd mix. Silver-trimmed turn signal lenses but black letters and emblem on the decklid. All 72's were built this way. Black-trimmed lenses didn't arrive until '73. Over time, people modify their cars due to personal preferences or because they didn't know any better so try not to trust random photos on the Internet.

Over time the black letters on the deck lid will turn to a silver/grey and the black anodizing on the grill will turn to a purplish hue before finally turning silverish in color. All the information you're getting from Live is spot-on. I've owned my 1972 911T for 25 years and I have the 1972 Car and Driver magazine where they test drive the new 1972 911's.