Thread: Porsche workshop manuals

Porsche workshop manuals

I would love to learn from the cognoscenti how the early Porsche workshop manuals worked? The search function finds no threads on this topic. Were they issued every year? Were they just issued the year of each new base model with annual or other supplemental updates? Does a later issue cover all of the previous models and updates? What were the purposes and uses of the different types of manuals (workshop, parts list, interior, Rennsport, etc.)? Or even such basic facts as red versus gray covers (I assume the latter are later reprints); how are the gray ones organized compared to the red ones? And probably other interesting questions I don't know enough to ask. Thanks in advance.

Rich

Rich, here's a basic guide to the factory 911 Workshop Manuals through the 60s and 70s...

At first, there was a single volume in a large red binder, which covered the details of the first model year. Through the following two years, it was updated or supplemented with new information- Weber carburetors, KONI struts & shocks, the 911S model- until all the added information overwhelmed the original binder, and the Workshop Manual was split into two volumes, with red binders marked I and II. This continued through 71, and then four more volumes were eventually added- these were marked III, IV, V and VI, and noted as "from Model on 72". These four volumes were then updated and supplemented with new information through the 70s and into the 80s.

In addition to the Workshop Manuals, the factory updated its service stations with hundreds of Service Bulletins, and beginning in 68 published yellow "Service Information" booklets on a yearly basis. It also published small "Technical Specifications" booklets which contained data such as model identification, tolerances, dimensions and settings, but did not provide service or assembly guidance.

I'm a bit short on time tonight, so maybe someone else can fill in the additional details for you. Hope this helps...

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Jon,
    Thank you! That helps a lot with a basic framework. I suspect I'm not the only one here who doesn't know and has wondered about this.
    Best wishes,
    Rich

The parts manuals also help enormously... and they were issued in series too...
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616