Thread: 1973 Targa windows won't lower all the way

1973 Targa windows won't lower all the way

Hi guys,

After I got my targa back after the paint job, both windows won't lower all the way. I would assume that when they work as they should work, they would go all the way into the door, right????

But I can't get them lower that shown on below pic. Its the same for both doors.

I think the painter may have made a mistake during re-assembly...but looking at the window mechanism I don't see anything that is clearly wrong.

Anyone has any tips on how to address this?

thanks!!Name:  window.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  142.1 KB
    Membership # 3518

1973 911T Targa

Quote Originally Posted by Benrenn View Post
    Hi guys,

After I got my targa back after the paint job, both windows won't lower all the way. I would assume that when they work as they should work, they would go all the way into the door, right????

But I can't get them lower that shown on below pic. Its the same for both doors.

I think the painter may have made a mistake during re-assembly...but looking at the window mechanism I don't see anything that is clearly wrong.

Anyone has any tips on how to address this?

thanks!!Name:  window.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  142.1 KB
    maybe to long bolts used to mount the window rail
    or the adjustable window stop was mounted upside down(probably not since i think the window would go a bit further down then shown on your pic)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks Moito.

It indeed looked like the lower allen bolt in the rear vertical guide rail was sticking out a tiny bit too much, so i installed a washer behind it, and now its flush with inside of the rail, and the window will lower a bit further. See new pic below. Would you say this is the lowest the window is supposed to go, or should it go in all the way?

I do have one stopper like you are showing, but it's currently mounted to limit the travel upwards only. Should there be a second one to limit travel downwards?

And does anyone have experience with lubing the mechanism?? Any tips there??? (besides the one found here: http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ht=window+lube

Thanks again!!
    Name:  window 2.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  106.9 KB
    Membership # 3518

1973 911T Targa

Quote Originally Posted by Benrenn View Post
    Thanks Moito.

It indeed looked like the lower allen bolt in the rear vertical guide rail was sticking out a tiny bit too much, so i installed a washer behind it, and now its flush with inside of the rail, and the window will lower a bit further. See new pic below. Would you say this is the lowest the window is supposed to go, or should it go in all the way?

I do have one stopper like you are showing, but it's currently mounted to limit the travel upwards only. Should there be a second one to limit travel downwards?

And does anyone have experience with lubing the mechanism?? Any tips there??? (besides the one found here: http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ht=window+lube

Thanks again!!
    Name:  window 2.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  106.9 KB
    not much of an targa expert ..i think i was wrong with the stopper...it limits the upwards not downwards ... i think thats now fine the way it looks .
    not sure how the downwards limiter should look like on your car but on some coupes there is a rubber thingie on the bottom of the door the window lift touches when fully down...there may be different ways but at the moment i cant remember.

member #1515
    Have you looked inside the door to see if everything is clear to slide? There is also a rubber buffer at the bottom of the door to keep the glass from bottoming, check to see its condition. There also some nylon sliders that break.
    I seem to recall that some updated winding mechanisms gave different bottom heights.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    Have you looked inside the door to see if everything is clear to slide? There is also a rubber buffer at the bottom of the door to keep the glass from bottoming, check to see its condition. There also some nylon sliders that break.
    I seem to recall that some updated winding mechanisms gave different bottom heights.
    Yes, it was the lower bolt in both rear slide rails that protruded a little bit inside the rails. So added a washer on the outside and problem solved. With all the black vinyl panels and squeegy thingies back in place, it looks good to me now.

Thanks!

Name:  raam 1.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  57.9 KB
    Name:  raam 2.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  83.3 KB
    Membership # 3518

1973 911T Targa