Thread: Letter type for Porsche models

36 year PCA member

Letter type for Porsche models

I have been curious about the letter designations assigned to Porsche models.
    356A is A type, 356B is B type, 356C is C type and how does this work for continuing years? Especially interested in 65-73 911/912 series? I realize I should know this but nobody seemed to classify as letters until I became friends with a guy from Germany.
    Last edited by Slcarr; 10-10-2018 at 04:41 PM.

65-67 did not use letter designations and are known as the zero series. Letters were then assigned for every model year that followed:

68 = A Series
    69 = B Series
    70 = C Series
    etc.
    97 = V Program

for 911/912, letter designations were for internal use and not used so much to define cars like they were for 356
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

36 year PCA member
    Thank you John but still confused. I asked internet what years was a F model and took me to a factory page that refers a F model as a 64-73, and the same factory page has a G model from 1974 to 1989??

Lightbulb

Thank you John but still confused. I asked internet what years was a F model and took me to a factory page that refers a F model as a 64-73, and the same factory page has a G model from 1974 to 1989??
    The internet isn't always right.... right?

The 911 Series definition started in MY '68 with A, and ended with MY '79 with M … Porsche switched to Program definitions in MY '80 with A again…

If you're inclined, get yourself some good reference books …

Hope this helps
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

All very good reference books, follow John's start, 70 was C series, so 73 was F. But read those books anyway.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.