Thread: Ignition switch bezels

36 year PCA member

Ignition switch bezels

I have many of these, 3 for sure fit 901 ignition switches and another 3 fit 911 switches and I have some more not really sure what they fit. Have the spacer/washer rings also. You should send me measurements of the OD of the threaded part and the ID of the hole where switch sticks threw, there are several different sizes. Bezels, $65 each, rings $25 each.

It's actually pretty simple to tell what fits what. It only took me 50 years to figure it out. Would you like me to let you know the ins and outs of Ignition Switch Bezels?

Regards

Jim

36 year PCA member
    Please do Jim.

In a nut shell, there are two sizes of lock barrels that the bezels screw onto. The larger one is for switches that are used with locking steering columns. The smaller ones are non locking ign switches. The are also only two sizes of openings for the key to fit through. The smaller of the two openings is for early locking ign switches (using a single sided key) and the larger one is for non locking switches (US and RHD cars, mostly) and all ign switches from 1970 onward (that is when they went to a double sided key). The one piece bezels (made from plastic with no separate metal insert are for 74 and later switches. Your pictures clearly depict all the different versions.

Regards

Jim
    PS: That is an impressive collection of locks and bezels!

I would be interested in an appropriate bezel, ring for a '68 locking ignition. I actually purchased the ignition from Jim B.

So, if I understand the above correctly, I need: Two piece, larger (for locking steering column), with a smaller opening (for early ignition switch). Unfortunately, I cannot get to the aforementioned purchased ignition for another week. Would you be able to confirm with the above information that Jim provided?

Thanks,

Scott
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

36 year PCA member
    Thank you Jim, I appreciate your help and information.

Peanut, I do have 3 bezels that do fit a 901 locked steering ignition switch. They can be seen in photo 4. 2 with stainless insert and 1 that is black center. Do you need the spacer/washer rings? Please email me threw my user name for how you would like to go forward? Thank you, Steve

OK, I sent a PM.

Thanks, Scott
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

Hi do you have the ones that fit a 1970 911T?
    Thanks Rasmus