Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stealth audio install -- advice?

91133, how do the Kicker DS35 speakers mount in the dash?

Quote Originally Posted by tomg View Post
    Hello Live,

It seems that the Exile Audio amp is no longer available since your installation. Any recommendations for a similar, lower-priced unit?

Thanks!
    That's actually the bluetooth receiver. But you're right, it's NLA. We're now using this one and we like it even better:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    That's actually the bluetooth receiver. But you're right, it's NLA. We're now using this one and we like it even better:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I believe I have a couple of both the JL audio and the Exile audio devices as spares as I experimented with some options. Happy to pass either one along to anyone who needs one.
    Last edited by blucille; 08-25-2020 at 04:52 AM.
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

I've been puttering on my 71 T now for a long time and I'm just about to the point that it'll be a dry weather daily. Until now the motor has been my car audio, with an 80's vintage Sony head and modular sony speakers on the rear floor.. I'm leaning towards the radio delete for my overall dash look. As far as speakers I'm thinking under seat subs, som kind of under dash mounted speakers and possibly rear deck mounted speakers although I'm not sold on those.
    Anyway, I like the idea of hidden audio, totally cool with plugging the phone into Aux for streaming and radio (not crazy about Bluetooth tunes)

Anyway, Is anyone aware of an amp with ram? I'd love to be able to upload my entire music library so I can have lossless files "on board"

I've never had a killer (much less decent) sound system in any of my vintage cars so I'd like this to be my first successful attempt.

Well, I committed to a head unit for my project

Just ordered the KMM-BT728HD. I have a set of Blaupunkt separates I'll be mounting in the kick panels.
    Currently I'm looking at the cdt 6x9 subs (ordering later this week) the epicenter and an amp dsp combo. I haven't come to a conclusion on the dash speakers as of right now.

I'm somewhat excited about the Kenwood HU at this point as it's a fraction of the cost of the retro sound units, has more features and I can run it remotely by app on my phone, so its going in the glove box.

At this point I'll be using a radio block off and fixing the trim vinyl.... so radio delete!

@blucille: Curious to know about the sound quality of those door speakers behind perforations. Mulling doing the same for a pair of 6.5s through basketweave door cards with tweets and high mids in the factory speaker enclosures in a 914.

@EuroWerks1: Dig that "fire extinguisher" setup.

And fwiw for everyone else…I switched to phone only audio via 3.5mm jack > RCA input > EQ > amp seven or eight years ago and never looked back. So nice to not look at a radio on the dash, and you gain not just digital music, Pandora, etc but also Waze. Found my phone provided adequate volume control range once overall volume on the EQ was set. Version 2.0 will be Bluetooth and expect some sound degradation, but not sure the delta matters much against a flat six with carbs and the rest of the noise. Also, I can no longer use a 3.5mm jack with my phone anyway, though there's this lightning jack > RCA connector setup (apologies for an Amazon link, but I'm not seeing other availability of lightning to RCA cables just yet):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FCBFVQ4...dDbGljaz10cnVl
    Last edited by stout; 09-27-2020 at 11:42 AM.

Here's an underdash view of my install that I was researching in starting this thread. Motive was stealth with iPhone connectivity and upgrade options.

Not audiophile by far, but you can hear it over the owner's carbureted 3.2...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Quote Originally Posted by stout View Post
    @blucille: Curious to know about the sound quality of those door speakers behind perforations. Mulling doing the same for a pair of 6.5s through basketweave door cards with tweets and high mids in the factory speaker enclosures in a 914.
    There is definitely a loss in highs, if you want to improve things, I’d find way to surface mount some tweeters. I’ve got 3.5 inch speakers in the dash that help provide some higher frequencies...not ideal, but overall pretty good ..for my uses, it’s absolutely acceptable.
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Gris View Post
    Here's an underdash view of my install that I was researching in starting this thread. Motive was stealth with iPhone connectivity and upgrade options.

Not audiophile by far, but you can hear it over the owner's carbureted 3.2...
    As the owner of this car, I can attest that after two years the system is still going strong. Great design and install by Eminence Gris.
    Harry
    Early 911s Registry Member # 3046
    1970 911T w/3.2L
    R Gruppe # 780
    2003 Boxster S
    2007 997.1 GT3
    2018 Macan S

I decided I want to put in a dsp, the audio control I was eyeballing was discontinued, so I will now be running the dayton dsp, I've read a lot of good things on it. I pulled the trigger on a set of cdt speakers. 2 ohm 6x9 subs, unity 8's for the dash, and a set of new 2020 production 4" es4-cv's. At this point the missing pieces are the amps. Im leaning towards a set of Kenwood Excelons, a mono and a 4 Channel... Unless I find a reason not to the d class kw's seem like serious SQ amps.
    The head unit won't be visible, so maybe a little hidden, but the rear deck pod will end up being the give away.
    Last edited by RSRGuy3; 10-08-2020 at 05:50 PM.