Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 915 center gate slop

915 center gate slop

1st to 2nd is fine. 3rd takes some practice when rolling though the gears.

The 3rd - 4rth gate has a lot of side to side slop when engaged. I am thinking something is bent or worn on the inside? As I have replaced all of the soft bushings in the linkage...
    72 911S Targa #0807 95+% German.

Paul Harrop 12.5% German.

Early S #2059

Do you have the original 72 shift housing, or the later 73 style?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    Do you have the original 72 shift housing, or the later 73 style?
    How do you tell? I almost think it was abused and the rebuilder didn't catch it.

Early S #2059

Banned
    Paul,

Is this the same issue?

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...565#post989565

If so, did you re-check the bushings?

To re-word Ed’s question: Do you have the stamped metal ‘72 shifter base or the ‘73- alum tower style?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Paul,

Is this the same issue?

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...565#post989565

If so, did you re-check the bushings?

To re-word Ed’s question: Do you have the stamped metal ‘72 shifter base or the ‘73- alum tower style?
    I'm sorry... I have slept since then and spent many mindless days on my combine....

So I pull it all apart like you said. Looks okay to me?

And stamped as you can see. Sorry for my ignorance. I have only driven one other long hood, and that was in the early 80's.

Name:  20181101_181350.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  97.4 KB

Thanks Frank!

Early S #2059

How about the ring bushing on the shift rod? And BTY you do have the proper 72 style shifter.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

To add my little bit of knowledge as I haven’t experienced the 72 shifter, but I imagine it’s a flipped 901/911. I have been into my 915 a number of times however. There are no lateral stops inside the 915 transmission. The gearbox relies on the shifter to align the 1-2, 3-4 and 5-R gates. Once in gear, there is a fair amount of side to side slop available.
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

Quote Originally Posted by M_deJong View Post
    ...There are no lateral stops inside the 915 transmission. The gearbox relies on the shifter to align the 1-2, 3-4 and 5-R gates.
    Mike, there are lateral stops inside the 915 transmission for the 1-2 and 5-R gates (or R gate in a 4-speed).
    The lateral stop for the 1-2 shift is in the guide fork attached to a removable plate on the case, and the lateral stop for the 5-R shift is a recess in the 5-R shift rod.
    I can post photos of the parts I'm referring to if my description isn't clear. You can always see clear evidence of contact on those stops.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    How about the ring bushing on the shift rod? And BTY you do have the proper 72 style shifter.
    There are more bushings than in this kit?

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...SABEgIKb_D_BwE

Early S #2059

You are right of course. But 3-4 relies on the shifter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon B View Post
    Mike, there are lateral stops inside the 915 transmission for the 1-2 and 5-R gates (or R gate in a 4-speed).
    The lateral stop for the 1-2 shift is in the guide fork attached to a removable plate on the case, and the lateral stop for the 5-R shift is a recess in the 5-R shift rod.
    I can post photos of the parts I'm referring to if my description isn't clear. You can always see clear evidence of contact on those stops.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green