Thread: Windshield washer runs but doesn’t pump

36 year PCA member

Windshield washer runs but doesn’t pump

The washer pump runs fine but doesn’t pump. Does it need to be primed, leaks in hose (seems fine) any other suggestions? Thank you. Steve

Is it a new install, or a present part that just started to fail?

- A new install... make sure your plumbing is correct, that the little hoses are on the correct nipples... in and out
    - An old part that has failed... Make sure the in and out nipples are clear of years of hard water deposits... pipe cleaners help

Hope this helps,
    cm
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

I had the same issue, the pump motor ran but no juice. They are easy to take apart and rebuild. Pop off the bottom plate to expose the impeller/gear. It is obvious how it comes apart and goes back together. As Chuck said hard water mineral build up can gum up the works. I just cleaned everything in hot soapy water and once everything was freely moving put it back together; whole job about 45 minutes. The pump squirted water over the roof of the car then had to adjust the nozzles with a safety pin. This was my original 45 year old pump on my 73. Works great now.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

How about CLR (Calcium Lime Rust) cleaner on an old clogged pump to see if that would clear the arteries?
    "Fahr drauf, bremsen ist feige!"

Member#2944
    Steve,
    There are check valves up by the windshield squirters. They prevent the fluid from draining back into the washer tank. They get clogged if you don’t use distilled water. They’re not easy to get to but may be your issue if the pump gears are turning. Before taking anything apart, I’d remove the outlet hose from the pump and run it. Should narrow down where the failure is.
    Tony

'68 912 SWT White
    '74 911 Targa Lime Green
    '03 Boxster S
    ‘13 Cayenne GTS

36 year PCA member
    Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I think I will need to take the bottom apart again as when I took it apart the rubber gasket ripped so I took another one I had apart for the gasket and when I put it back together I may have put the gasket and brass plate with the gasket 1st and then the brass plate and there is to much clearance between the brass plate and the gears? 911+1 I did not have it mounted in the car, I just bench tested it.