Thread: Please help me put a 2.4E motor into my '69T

Wink Please help me put a 2.4E motor into my '69T

Greetings Everyone!
    I have a 1969 911T. At the moment it has a 2.2T from a 1970. It's a tired old engine that leaks oil, smokes a lot on startup, has always fouled plugs, and has uniform, but low compression (roughly 90PSI all around warm).
    Name:  IMAG0360.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  128.7 KB

I've been dreaming of a better motor for a long time, and was shocked when two amazing things happened at once yesterday: I found a 2.4E longblock in the classifieds, and my wife gave me permission to buy it! I'm super excited about the higher redline, extra compression, greater torque, and having a more robust platform for future building should I want to go up to 2.7 or other future dreams... http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-911-52-Engine

I have some of the more common reliability mods on my old 2.2 that I plan to transfer over. I have a set of SSIs, pressure fed Carrera tensioners, and a 75amp alternator. I plan to move all that stuff to the 2.4E. Will the SSIs still fit? When was the change between thin and thick exhaust flanges?

I have relatively fresh set of Zenith 40TINs that I plan to use for fuel, they have the stock 27.5mm vents, but I have a set of 30mm vents and some alternate jets. Someday when I have the cash I'll either home cook some EFI or I'll prowl the classifieds for MFI. For now, does anybody know a good starting point for 2.4E Zenith jetting?

I know there are some differences between the original 2.0, the current 2.2 and new 2.4. The biggest problem I see immediately is the clutch - the 901/13 transmission I have only supports a push type pressure plate, but the 2.2 and 2.4 used the 215mm, pull type pressure plate. I got around this with my 2.2 by just using my old 2.0 flywheel. Is that still an option? Can a 2.0T clutch handle 2.4E power? Is there a way to get the larger clutch to work with the right type of pressure plate?

Another concern is oil plumbing. My 2.2 didn't seem to need anything special when I put it in, but I've read about special oil lines being required for some engine conversions - is the oil plumbing between the 2.2 and 2.4 the same?

I know that asking this question is like throwing a grenade in the room... but ignition... (sigh) the factory used a 3 pin CDI, but my poor '69T did not come with on of those. I had an MSD 6AL for 12 years, but it kept melting rotors and finally started blowing them apart, then it failed completely. I'm reluctant to go with another MSD... I also simply don't have the cash for a Bosch CDI. What sub $300 systems are people having success with?

The 2.4 came with the full cooling system and a distributor. I'll probably just clean that up an use it unless I find any problems.

Any other pitfalls when installing the 2.4/2.7 case into a '69 body? I'm trying to get whatever parts I can prior to returning home.

I promise lots of pictures once I start the project! Right now I'm at sea aboard USS IWO JIMA, on my way home from Iceland and Norway, but I'm really looking forward to my Christmas leave project! I'm so thrilled about this dumb motor I've barely been able to sleep!

Thanks!
    -Dan
    Last edited by daniel911T; 11-24-2018 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Adding pictures so people will actually read it.

There's no reason that 2.4 E couldn't work with a 2.0 clutch, you'll need to use your 2.2 oil cooler, the 2.4 cooler has a slip on oil line that doesn't work with your 69 oil tank. Just swap the oil line adapter on the case with the 2.2 version, then the same oil line will fit. Although I'd rather see you use the correct Bosch C.D. a "street" MSD system with their coil will work. The SSI's will fit.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    There's no reason that 2.4 E couldn't work with a 2.0 clutch, you'll need to use your 2.2 oil cooler, the 2.4 cooler has a slip on oil line that doesn't work with your 69 oil tank. Just swap the oil line adapter on the case with the 2.2 version, then the same oil line will fit. Although I'd rather see you use the correct Bosch C.D. a "street" MSD system with their coil will work. The SSI's will fit.
    Thanks a lot Ed!
    I have a spare oil cooler that I can clean up and install. I was planning on taking the old one off to change the seals anyway...

I'll look at MSD's street line. I'd like a Bosch CDI also, but I've always been on a budget that is probably a little too tight for "proper" Porsche stewardship. There have been more git-er-done repairs completed than I care to admit.

Thanks again!
    -Dan

For the clutch: do I need to swap flywheels, or can I just bolt my 2.2 clutch and pressure plate onto the 2.4 flywheel?

You need the push clutch for the 901 trans, bolt your 69 flywheel and clutch package onto the 2.4 engine.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks again Ed, I'll just move my old flywheel over.

What is the correct way to plug the MFI injector holes? Ideally, I'd like to be able to easily reverse it and install MFI someday, if budget ever allows.

Thanks!
    Dan

From memory I think the size and pitch are 14 X 1.50. Just get a button head allen bolt, use the injector copper gaskets and install in the injector holes.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.