Thread: Saving original vinyl trim or not?

Saving original vinyl trim or not?

Just wondering what the conventional wisdom is on saving original vinyl.

I get that it’s advisable to retain originality whenever possible during a restoration, but I’m not sure I see this stuff lasting another couple of decades. It looks good (rear shelf, rear side panels, rear seat—except carpet, under dash trim, top dash—it’s a ‘68, and a few others), but around some of the edges the material seems stiff.

Also, I need the front dash and new door tops. Wondering if the mix of old and new grains wouldn’t look good.

I don’t hate the idea of potentially saving some money, but I don’t want to be penny wise and pound foolish.

Thoughts?
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...restoration complete!
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

We saved the original vinyl on my 67S. In collaboration with Dave DiMaria whose shop restored my car. It was the one area where I had the most hands on and vision for the completed car. I wanted the feel of a new old 67S with as much of the real interior as we could save. With a shout out to David Seeland for some rejuvenating tips and tricks; also Tom Scott for encouragement and support. I think we succeeded. We got a perfect score on the interior at the Parade. Dave had another beautifully original 67S in for paint with an extremely well maintained interior. My goal was to duplicate the feeling of sitting in that car. As nice as new interiors can be there is absolutely no comparison. So If you can save it, do it.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Change everything out imho. If you’re doing everything else new the old stuff is going to stick out badly.

The new German vinyl is pretty good grain wise but not color. It is just not black, more charcoal.
    Last edited by steve shea; 11-29-2018 at 06:43 AM.
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

And the sheen is way off. Not sure why all of the new stuff lacks the gloss of the old stuff. I have some original unused vinyl that was never exposed to sunlight or polished by use and it has a beautiful sheen. My sense is the new vinyl will not shine up over time...

Vinyl oxidizes. Anybody who thinks that "NOS" vinyl from back in the day still looks like it looked originally is simply wrong. IMO you are doing a full restoration to as-new, especially on a not-excessively-valuable-car (like your '68), that should include a full restoration of the interior, or it will stick out like a sore thumb.

Saving and even harvesting original vinyl is a worthy cause. The original had a royal blue backing. The best that I have seen (that is not a perfect match) has a sky blue backing. It takes a lot more time to save and harvest than it does to go all new, but the original look is worth it.

This keeps coming up. See; http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ighlight=vinyl Steve. You commented in both threads. Did you actually get some of the new German vinyl from Asse and compare it? Not trying to be confrontational. Just interested since my experience was opposite yours. Wondering if the examples I showed we actually not '67 upholstery as I assumed. Maybe difference between early ('67-'68) and '72/'73 vinyl?

No problem. Just answered the guy's question on the other thread. I used original 9/66 black vinyl everywhere but one place. I used an old seat back to make the A and B pillar strips. The only piece not saved was the rear shelf top that gets blasted by UV. I don't know where Dave got it but after applying my redo process it matched up well with the og stuff. The only way I know of to get a sheen on the new vinyl is with a German product, Einzett or 1Z. It sprays on let sit for a minute or two. Then I spread it around with my fingers to spread evenly on the piece, wait another minute or so then wipe off. It leaves a dry sheen. Not greasy or slippery. It deepens the black a little but leaves almost a shell like layer. The stuff is really good. 72/3 vinyl is quite different BTW.
    edit: I just looked and could not find it. The original factory burned to the ground. There is Nextzett cockpit premium but I have no idea if it is the same. my supply came from the original company.
    Last edited by steve shea; 11-30-2018 at 10:06 AM.
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

Thanks Steve. Probably the difference in the years make up for the appearance. I'm satisfied with the Asse stuff for my '67 and '68. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Tom