Thread: '70 S Twin-Plug Motor - Early ST Spec

'70 S Twin-Plug Motor - Early ST Spec

I'm selling what I thought was my "keep forever", bad-ass, high "CF" (Coolness Factor), Holy Grail engine 1970 S Twin-plug MFI engine #6301780, Type 911/02. Engine came out of Bahia Red, non-sunroof coupe with Recaro Sport Seats and LSD. VIN 9110301291 - Lost/Missing. All we can assume is that the PO wrote the tub off at some club race? All heads are dated 1/70, BOSCH -009 MFI Pump, throttle bodies and stacks original to engine. Engine has 2.2S pistons, Biral cylinders and 70.4mm crank making it a 2.4L. With the exception of the 70.4mm crank, this engine is the same spec as the Gerard Larrousse '70 Monte Carlo car and Richie Ginther's '70 LeMans car (low-butterfly throttle-bodies, MFI and Marelli twin-plug distributor). Engine has been in storage for over a decade. Turns over freely. I will guarantee every component to be free of defect and restorable. Engine is in Denver. $15K

Coveted Factory Marelli Twin-plug Distributor S1211A-13 as used on 906, R and early ST motors available at additional cost. Please email me at: racerstock AT yahoo.com

Thanks, Sean
    Attached Images Attached Images

nice piece for a hot rod build.
    LOOKING FOR 1967S TRANSMISSION #103586
    Looking For 1969T Engine #6195922
    Looking For 1969T Transmission #7194313

Looking for 1969T Transmission #7195495
    www.tcspeed.com

Good price too. GLWS.

No mention of compression ratio, or what cams. Also, how many hours on the engine. Does the crank turn, what kind of exhaust, etc. Lastly, since the engine needs the twin plug dizzy to run, how much for the engine with the distributor?
    I am interested, but you will need to provide more info.

Gruen911, thank you for your inquiry. I cannot confirm the compression ratio but after looking in a number of cylinders with a borsescope the pistons appear to be stock 2.2S in dome height and valve relief. I would err on the side of caution that the compression ratio is 9.8:1. As I bought the engine some time ago and the previous owner didn't know anything about the build, I can't speak to changes made to deck height or other factors that would contribute to higher compression. As I mentioned in my post, I do not know the history of the engine other than it had been in storage for over a decade. The gentleman I purchased it from was not the person who had it built, nor drove it. I have been asked about my "warranty statement". Years ago I purchased an S long-block from a guy on ESR and it was described as "turns over freely". When I received the engine, the crank would move left to right only about 45 degrees in either direction. It was quite disappointing and for that reason I personally guarantee that every component is free of defect, re-usable or restorable. The engine does include all engine tin, flywheel, clutch, pressure-plate, original steel airbox and headers. I'm asking 22K for the complete package with the Factory Twin-Plug Marelli. Thank you, Sean

How can you know the crank is a 70.4 mm crank if you don't know any build information? ...curious if there is some way to identify that I don't know.

I'm in need of an engine for a '68 Hot Rod I'm working on and this might fit the bill.

Hello JMZ, the easiest way to tell the difference between a 2.0/2.2 crank and a 2.4/2.7 crank is by looking at the flywheel flange. They all have six flywheel bolt holes but the 2.0/2.2 flange has two oil galley holes and the 2.4/2.7 crank only has one.
    This makes identifying the crank possible even when the crank is in the case. I borrowed this from Henry Schmidt at Supertec.

Your '68 Hot Rod sounds like a very cool project. A twin-plug engine with amber colored fiberglass engine "tin" would be sick!

Cheers, Sean

Sale-pending