Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Ambition Fulfilled - my 1972 911T coupe

Radio mounting clips finally arrived today. A full month after US Customs cleared and handed them off to USPS in Chicago. Not sure how you can take a month for Chicago to Oregon, unless some really weird stuff happened, but there it is.

I've got the radio in the dash now, hooked up and tested, and all is working great. Surprised at how good it sounds, actually. I will spending some time tidying the installation tomorrow before finally installing the outer face plate. Looking forward to it - while the blanking plate looked good, actually having the radio in place (even if I rarely use it) will be even better. One step closer to the car's return to original build spec.

I have also been spending some time going through the vent system behind the dash, looking for some somewhat annoying rattles when driving on rough roads. My plan is to remove it all, test drive to see if the rattles are gone, and if so securely install one bit at a time (with test drives after each new addition) to get it all back in place and sorted. This will obviously take some time. Wish me luck...
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Got it all back together today, the vent system in the trunk, the radio, and then I tidied the wiring and such under the dash. When I got all that done, I installed the A/C vent plenum under the dash as well. Still plenty of A/C stuff yet to acquire and install, but the interior of the car now looks complete.

Found the yellow wire for the low beams looked a bit crispy at the blade connection under the dash. Got really hot when I turned on the headlights, too. Found the wire was frayed at the crimp, so I replaced the connector with a new one. Then as a further safeguard, I grabbed some relays out of my electrical parts box and wired one into the low beam circuit to take the load off of the switches. All better now. Lights work, wires under the dash don't get warm.

Next up - oil leaks. Parts arriving next week.

Name:  IMG_2364.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  88.8 KB
    - Arne

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Oil leaks. I hate 'em. I was spoiled by 7 years with a 3.2 Carrera that never leaked a drop. So while I know that totally dry is a goal that is not always attainable, I have to try.

Early in my time with the car I fixed a few leaks here and there, the worst were from warped upper valve covers.

In this latest work, I tackled the #8 bearing leak as well as a leak at the MFI drive end of the left camshaft. For camshaft leak, I popped out the leaking seal and installed a pair of new seals (doubled up) as I've seen recommended several places. On the #8 bearing I used the bearing sleeve kit from Mobile Works West (Tom Amon).

The camshaft leak (so far) appears to be completely fixed. The #8 bearing is either fixed, or is so slow it's more like a seep now, not a leak.

Of course, it is early going on both fixes, so time will tell. but so far I'm really encouraged.
    - Arne

Both of the oil leaks mentioned above still appear to be dry. Especially happy with the #8 bearing leak. All good there. More on the cam seal below.

Another Cars & Coffee yesterday, PCA event so almost 100% Porsches. About 30% air cooled, too.

Brought it home after the event, decided to change the clutch pedal shaft bushings in prep of a possible day trip to the coast this coming week. Had a visit from Mr. Murphy, however.

Got the pedal cluster out of the car OK, drove out the roll pin, changed nylon for bronze. All good so far. Then prepared to put it all back together, and noticed the clevis didn't look right. Close inspection showed one arm of the clevis cracked almost all the way through. Squeezed it with my fingers and it broke. Not going to the coast this week...

Since the car is now non-op and I need to order the clevis, I figured I'd check over other things to see what else I might need to order as well. (No local dealer, so pretty much everything has to be ordered ahead.)

While the #8 bearing was and is still dry, there was still oil dripping onto the heat exchanger, right below the cam seal I had already changed. That annoyed me, so I figured I'd look a bit closer at that to see if I needed to do it again. Nope, the leak was not coming from the cam seal, all dry there. But there is a pretty good leak from the exhaust rocker shaft on #3. Checked the torque on the bolt, it's tight. So parts for the rocker shaft have been ordered along with the clutch clevis. I probably went a bit overboard on what I ordered, but if I'm going to pull it apart I want to have everything I might need on hand. So I have a new shaft, bolt, bushing and nut coming, as well as a pair of the RSR seals. I may not need all of that, but I'd rather have it all here just in case.
    - Arne

Too bad, but at least you found out about it now instead of on the road!
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833

It's not a totally bad thing. I'd rather have an identified new leak to fix, rather than having to try to fix again one that I've already worked on.
    - Arne

True, but I was referring to the clutch clevis. That would have left you more or less stranded.
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833

Possibly, yes. While I've had the occasion to have to drive a few cars home clutch-less after cable failures now and then over the 47 years I've been driving, I'd be a bit reluctant to do so in a 911 with either a 901 or 915 transaxle. So the timing was a bit opportune, yes.

New clevis arrived this morning, was installed after lunch. Then replaced the rocker shaft. I'd heard people say they struggled with the RSR shaft seals, but I thought they went in fairly easily.

All back together now, and the clutch bushings that started this whole thing make the pedal feel smooth as silk. Will take it out for a drive tomorrow.
    Last edited by Arne; 10-08-2020 at 08:37 PM.
    - Arne

Feeling pretty good about the oil leak work so far. No leaking seen after a drive the next day that got the oil nice and warm. And no drips after sitting in the garage for 2 weeks either. I'm starting to think that I may truly have it sealed up now.
    - Arne

Day trip to the Oregon coast.

Name:  E3DA5AED-0652-4DBA-9DC6-FE1B602273A9.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  192.7 KB

Name:  238FEF56-2450-4BA2-B652-39E84B354499.jpg
Views: 1015
Size:  218.2 KB
    - Arne