Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Ambition Fulfilled - my 1972 911T coupe

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernThrux View Post
    Amazing what you accomplished since 2018. Right approach to get it on the road and then peck away at the less important details. And a great way to socially isolate.
    Yes, I'm glad I had an active project in a state that gives me stuff to do in the garage now. Although, I'd be doing much the same even without the lockdown. Playing in my garage is what I do, generally.

Prioritizing the bits and pieces is an important part for me. My financial resources aren't up to the "one fell swoop" method of restoration. Plus, I want to drive it as I go. So this all works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by terry911t View Post
    Arne,
    What are you doing for a radio? I see you have a speaker grill but no radio in the dash?

What was the rattle?
    Rattle was a loose mounting clamp on one of the big oil lines between the oil tank and the engine. It was loosened during the paintwork so that the tank could be lowered down to paint the inside of the '72-only oil filler door opening. All better now.

Radio - part of the prioritization I mentioned above. The car was (according to the info I have) factory equipped with a Frankfurt (not dealer installed). Said radio is long gone. I want to acquire and re-install one at some point, but since I rarely use radios in any of my cars (especially Porsches) it is a rather low priority at this point. I do still have an antenna fitted, and under the dash pad is a new speaker ready to connect, but I'm not going to start looking for a radio for a while yet. So I got the correct radio plate for a future Frankfurt from Woody's and covered it with vinyl like a blanking plate. Later when I have a radio for it I'll simply cut the vinyl from the holes. For now it just looks like a radio delete. Just don't poke it with a finger!

This picture shows the missing plug for the fog light switch hole and the sad state of the kneepads which will be recovered soon.

Name:  IMG_2190.jpg
Views: 1060
Size:  79.3 KB
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

The next step in the interior portion of the project started today. The next week or so will see movement on multiple fronts. Carpet will be laid, interior panels installed, and several parts will be recovered in new vinyl.

The new carpet arrived today, so that will be fitted piece by piece. Interior panels is a mixed bag. New door panels have arrived, to replace the originals that were butchered years ago for speakers. The other panels are still originals (although not all original to this car), but aren't perfect. They are good enough to be acceptable candidates for repair and re-dying, however. Both the quarter panels and the rear panel had a few random small holes and snags in the vinyl. I used a 3M vinyl repair product on them to fix the damage, and then—since the repaired spots have different gloss, and the panels show some signs of fading and staining—all 3 of those panels will be re-dyed with SEM ColorCoat (Landau Black). Initial tests on spare panels looks great. I will probably re-dye the armrests, and may re-dye the rear seats also to freshen them up a bit.

The recovering began a while ago with the garnish rails under the rear quarter windows. Those were fairly simple, the next ones will be harder. On tap are the dash knee pads, door top garnish pads and the door pockets.

Here's a shot of one of the repaired holes, plus one of a test fit of the passenger door card.

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 7.36.03 PM.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  198.8 KB

Name:  IMG_2218.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  82.2 KB
    Last edited by Arne; 04-17-2020 at 07:04 PM.
    - Arne

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

The carpet is essentially done. Still have to re-carpet the back sides of the rear seat backs, but that's it. Will have the seats back in shortly. Then on to the re-covering of the door garnish rails and kneepads. Last to be recovered will be the door pockets.

Name:  IMG_2220.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  108.1 KB

Name:  IMG_2221.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  83.5 KB
    - Arne

Arne,
    Looks great! I am a year or so behind you on a 70T. Where did you get the carpet kit? Are you happy with it? Did you put down anything before laying the carpet...I see some insulation/sound deadening used etc.

Thanks for sharing,
    Terry

Carpet is the Charcoal Plush from Bob at AppBiz. I'm happy with it. Much easier to work with than the square weave I put in my '84 Carrera. Looks totally appropriate for an Appearance Group car.

The carpet was laid over the original sound insulation.

Will be finishing the carpet today with the rear seat backs. Then reinstalling the seats. May start recovering the door garnish rails this afternoon, or maybe tomorrow.
    - Arne

Nice work Arne...
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Will be better once I get the seats back in so I can take it for a drive...
    - Arne

Hi Arne,

while I like the most parts of your restauration the carpet looks like the 911T Standard carpet. There are so many parts of your car that are S or Comfort/Appearance group options..... I would use the matching velour carpet. Just my 2ct.

Cheers
    Dirk

Poor out of focus picture, Dirk. The carpet is a velour or plush, not the standard felt-type.

Name:  IMG_2222.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  222.7 KB
    - Arne

Great thread Arne - really enjoying your progress
    Keep posting ..!!
    Paul

1969 ex-South African RHD Tangerine 911T . 1970 ex-Southern Californian LHD Conda 911T 1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover (original Australian CKD … very slowly re-building) 1987 W124 230e
    (long term paid up member)